TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 04:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,176
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 127
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 108
  • Total: 108

Drag & Drop Functions..

Started by Xarcell, March 15, 2006, 03:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

Alotta new software sites are using the drag & drop functions. Such as tagworld, and windows live beta. (www.live.com).

I think this would be a nice feature to TP in block placement(manage blocks). It may be a little over the top at the moment too. I dunno...

Mitch

Quote from: Xarcell on March 15, 2006, 03:59:22 AM
Alotta new software sites are using the drag & drop functions. Such as tagworld, and windows live beta. (www.live.com).

I think this would be a nice feature to TP in block placement(manage blocks). It may be a little over the top at the moment too. I dunno...

Funny you mention that cause I was getting read to post the same thing but I would not of had the good example. I really would enjoy this. Is there anyway that this is possible as of now?

anunlike

That would definitely be nice to have.

bloc

Its very impressive and sure fun to explore..but how often do you do it? Once the initial playing is over, I bet you settle for a set layout.. ;)

So while adding moving blocks would be a nice feature in TP, using a lot of javascript code just to move them..is over the top for my part. There is Backbase package that will do this..but it costs money.

As part of an page-per-member module in TP which I am planning, such things as re-arranging blocks will be considered though..but no promises. 

Porky

That would be very nice to have...

anunlike

I think that's the main function that's wanted out of something like this, the ability for each member to move the blocks around. Actually, overall, I agree that this might be a tad bit overkill.

Arkanthos

Well, as for moving blocks around. I have the left blocks hidden and right blocks visible when users enter the forums mostly because I've put things on the right side that are useful in posting on the forums (callendar, shoutbox, recent posts, and the like). Allowing all the users to move around what they see would prettly well eliminate the controll an admin has over the location and design of the page itself. Yes in fact I'm a neat freak about the page, but I also think that it's important to controll the layout so that you can present a stable page for your users.

anunlike

Quote from: Arkanthos on March 20, 2006, 04:59:11 PMWell, as for moving blocks around. I have the left blocks hidden and right blocks visible when users enter the forums mostly because I've put things on the right side that are useful in posting on the forums (callendar, shoutbox, recent posts, and the like). Allowing all the users to move around what they see would prettly well eliminate the controll an admin has over the location and design of the page itself. Yes in fact I'm a neat freak about the page, but I also think that it's important to controll the layout so that you can present a stable page for your users.

I'm sure that there'd be a way for the admin to turn it off and on. :)

bloc

It would have to be a choice for the admin,yes..also considering what blocks can be moved etc.

Moocat

i believe there's an ipb mod that does this. tbh it's cool but i never use it on sites that have a decent layout already.

gerrymo

To me its a completely useless function. I, and only I, decide on my site layout. I build it the way I want it for a reason. There are ample ways to move things around in Admin.

Sorry guys, just my opinion.

anunlike

I just think it gives a nice bit of interactivity to a site. Make it that much more convenient for a member to use, so that they can have the blocks that they need / want, instead of everything that I, as the admin, need / want there.

Especially if you have a "hompeage" with TP.