TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 07:41:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 121
  • Total: 121

DISQUS comments

Started by prometheus fire, March 26, 2010, 05:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prometheus fire

I've been looking at DISQUS as a commenting system instead of using the built-in commenting system that TP already has. It looks simple enough: add the embed code to the end of each post, ensure TP comments are turned off.

Disqus offers a number of accessibility advantages that might prove to be a good enhancement.  The main issue is, someone who signs in using Disqus will only be able to comment on an article and not go into the forums and post. Lacking an integrated login, there is no way to do this. 

Has anyone looked at Disqus, or other login forms? (this is an SMF question though, probably suited for over there but given the current state of politics, SMF may not get that kind os development...)

Either way, what about the implications of using DISQUS as an alternative?

Link: http://disqus.com/

Comments? Thoughts?

Xarcell

I'm positive this can be done. Head over to SMF to the "Help Wanted" section. You can probably hire someone to code the intergration for you for about $10-$20. Maybe for free, but I doubt it.

I have to ask though, what is it about it that makes you like it better than the TP comments? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I'm just wondering if there is something we should try to improve on.

prometheus fire

I like the fact that Disqus allows for logins other than the proprietary login. It uses Open ID, Facebook, Twitter, etc. (and even provides a way for guests to post comments). Having a way to have such varied and open login, that does a login pass-through to SMF would be awesome.

These days, having a proprietary login seems dated. I didn't realize it until recently and see how hard it is to get Web 2.0ers to register for my site. Disqus may not really be the answer I'm looking for, having alternative and more open login for SMF may be a possible solution as well.

The other features of Disqus are no better or worse, I'm drawn toward it by the possibility of increased accessibility to the public.

Xarcell

Oh I see...

SMF 2.0 supports open ID by default. There is also a mod for SMF that supports facebook login by sleepy arcade, and another for twitter. You might can consider that as an alternative.

prometheus fire

Thanks for the tip on the FB and twitter integration, however, I'm running 1.11 SMF.  Those mods are only compatible with SMF2. I need my TP for my site, so I'm waiting for the new TP release so I can upgrade to the latest SMF.