TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 05:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,176
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 127
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 94
  • Total: 94

[Solved] Indent on TP Module: Downloads: Show x New Files

Started by zarprime, December 18, 2008, 07:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZarPrime

Current Forum Stats follow ...

Link to my site: http://forum.talesofthehavenexpanse.com

SMF version: SMF ver. 1.1.7 (Recently Upgraded)

TP version: TP ver. 1.05 beta 1 (Recently Upgraded)

Theme name and version: as follows ...
Front Page & Forum and the rest - Bloc's Awesome Enterprise Theme
Cityscape on one board (testing) on following board (with new pics) ...
http://forum.talesofthehavenexpanse.com/index.php/board,61.0.html

Mods installed: as follows ...
QuoteMod Name                                  Version     
1.  SMF 1.0.15 / 1.1.7 Update                1.0       [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.  TinyPortal                                      1.052    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.  Invite                                            1.14     [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.  Default Membergroup on Registration   1.1      [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.  Avatars at Index Mod                       1.5      [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.  vMulticolor-Stars Mod                       0.99    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

I did some searching and can't find any answers similar.

On my forum, I use a block to show the latest downloads using the TP module.  The bullets and text appears to be indented from the left too much.

Can anybody tell me what I would change to fix this, to start the bullets and text closer to the left side of the block?  Pictures enclosed ---> Appears the same in both Enterprise and Default SMF theme.

Thanks in advance,
ZarPrime

IchBin

Can you disable all the blocks but the downloads block to see if any of the other blocks are affecting it?

ZarPrime

Quote from: IchBinâ,,¢ on December 18, 2008, 03:15:14 PM
Can you disable all the blocks but the downloads block to see if any of the other blocks are affecting it?

Hi Ichbin,  I can try that, but I think I will wait until the middle of the night tonight to do that.  FWIW, I first noticed this when I did the upgrade from SMF 1.0xx  to 1.1.7, shortly followed by the installation of TP 1.052.

I hesitate to do this, because with this version of TP I've also noticed that when I turn a block off (green to red) I have had trouble getting them to come back on sometimes (red to green).  For this reason, I want to make copies of all my blocks before I start turning them off in case I have to recreate them in a new block.  Actually, it might take me more than just tonight to do this.  I'll come back after I've done it.

EDIT:  When turning the blocks off, would it be alright to do them one at a time and check to see if it makes a difference?  Then turn it back on and check the next one, etc.?

IchBin

In TP 1.0.5 there is a problem with the caching of the state of the green/red button. All you have to do is clear your cache in your browser.  Or close/open it to reactivate the blocks. If I remember right a hard refresh even works. Shift+click refresh. This was fixed in beta2 by adding some ajax instead. :)

ZarPrime

Quote from: IchBinâ,,¢ on December 18, 2008, 06:03:37 PM
In TP 1.0.5 there is a problem with the caching of the state of the green/red button. All you have to do is clear your cache in your browser.  Or close/open it to reactivate the blocks. If I remember right a hard refresh even works. Shift+click refresh. This was fixed in beta2 by adding some ajax instead. :)

Ah, good.  I didn't know that.  That will come in handy.  Thanks.  I'll get back here after checking my blocks.

ZarPrime

Quote from: IchBinâ,,¢ on December 18, 2008, 03:15:14 PM

Hi Ichbin,

OK, I've had a chance to do what you asked me to do on this.  I turned off all the blocks in each panel (left, right, top, bottom, upper, and lower) one panel at a time, and checked the block in question after each time before turning them back on and doing the next panel.  I didn't turn every block in all panels off and check it.  I did this on a per panel basis.  In all cases, the indent on that block didn't change.

I then looked at the block with Firebug.  The class of the div is "post".  The <ul> is the problem.  The styles listed are shown in the code box below.  When I checked the layout it said that there was a 40px padding on the ul.  I changed it to 15 with Firebug and it looked good.  However, I can't find anywhere that the padding is set to 40px in the first place.

Finally, I changed the width on my left panel from 170 to 210, thinking that maybe that would adjust the 40px out.  It had no effect and the 40px padding is still shown.

This one has me stumped.  Any ideas?

ZarPrime

.post, .personalmessage {style.css?fin11 (line 296)
line-height:1.3em;
overflow:auto;
width:100%;
}
Inherited fromtd
body, td, th, tr {style.css?fin11 (line 37)
color:#E0E0E0;
font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;
font-size:small;
}
Inherited fromtr
}
Inherited fromtable
table {style.css?fin11 (line 32)
empty-cells:show;
}
Inherited fromtd
}
Inherited fromtr
}
Inherited fromtable
}
Inherited fromtd
}
Inherited fromtr
}
Inherited fromtable
}
Inherited frombody
}

IchBin

The 40 px is a default margin that all UL's get unless they are set otherwise in the style.css file. I see this same thing on my site now after testing it. You could possible add something to the tp-style.css to make this different, but it would affect all UL's.

ul{
    margin-left: 20px;
}

You can set the px to whatever looks good to you.

ZarPrime

OK, I'll have a look at the other blocks on my site and see if any others use ul and if they don't then I'll think about doing this.  Funny that I never noticed this problem in the earlier version of TP I was using.  This block must have used a different method in 0.98.

Thanks for the help,
ZP

ZarPrime

Quote from: IchBinâ,,¢ on December 21, 2008, 03:30:00 PM
The 40 px is a default margin that all UL's get unless they are set otherwise in the style.css file. I see this same thing on my site now after testing it. You could possible add something to the tp-style.css to make this different, but it would affect all UL's.

ul{
    margin-left: 20px;
}

You can set the px to whatever looks good to you.

Hi Ichbin,

I just wanted to give you an quick update on this little problem.  I haven't actually changed the style.css to add the ul{ etc.  However, I went in with Firebug and added it to the css, but when I made it 20px it adds 20 pixels to the 40, sliding it farther to the right.  I then changed it to
ul{
    margin-left: -25px;
}

with minus 25 instead of plus 20, and that made it look perfect.  There is 1 other block on my site that uses the ul (it's the Mini-User CP block), but making this change with Firebug doesn't seem to affect that block at all, which is a good thing.

Also, the Enterprise-TP theme has a style.css but not a tp-style.css file.

I don't know if there any other block types that use the ul but I'm thinking that perhaps this little snippet should be added to the code in the TP Module block type for "Downloads: Show x New Files"

I don't know if this could be considered a bug, but I think I might bend Bloc's ear on this and ask him if he thinks that adding the ul into the block type might be a good idea.

ZarPrime

ZarPrime

Hi Ichbin,

OK, Bloc has confirmed that this issue is a bug and that he will sort it out in 1.0 Beta3.  So, I am going in and marking this topic solved.

ZarPrime