TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 05:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 78
  • Total: 78

Recently migrated to TP

Started by MrMike, September 09, 2023, 09:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMike

Hi, I'm a recent adopter of TP, and I love it- it's got plenty of features but it's not bloated, plus it's easy to use. 10/10 :)

I migrated from an e107 CMS to Tinyportal, importing ~800 pages after all was said and done. I was able to map the categories and other fields so all the articles ended up where there were supposed to. Everything came across nicely, and after adding a few bits of the original site's CSS to Tinyportal's CSS, everything is looking good.

I'd like to donate $20 for copyright removal, but I don't plan to use the unlock code, I'd like to leave the copyright visible. I just want to show some appreciation for all the work that went into building TinyPortal.

Having TP available to move to saved me from a serious tech debt issue- one that forced the original site to either move or die, and I moved it to TP.

Thanks again for such a slick CMS add-on! Please tell me where to send a donation!

tino

Thanks for the kind words.

@lurkalot handles the donations, although personally we could do with some more testers to check new features and or find/fix bugs.

lurkalot

MrMike glad you're liking TinyPortal, it sounds like youve been busy migrating all those articles etc. Nice job.

I'm betting you are using the latest version of TinyPortal and SMF 2.1.4 so the TP copyright doesn't show anyway and has been moved to the SMF credits page, just the TP help link will show bottom right of page.

As for donations, that's very kind and it will go towards hosting this support site. You can find a donation button at bottom of page.

As tino mentioned we really need testers to help out finding and fixing bugs etc, so let us know if interested please.  ;)

MrMike

Donation sent. :)

As for testing, I have found a few bugs (I think) and I'll try and list/detail them later.

MrMike

Okay, here are a couple of things I've found during use...I'm not sure if they're bugs, it may just be me not understanding the system well enough.

1) Editing a download item- I can't seem to add a new icon to a download item- I go through the steps to upload the icon, the page refreshes, but it doesn't appear in the icon list. I can manually put a new icon in the directory and it appears in the list, but not when I upload it. I'm wondering if this might be a directory permission issue on my end perhaps (??)

2) I think there's an issue with using double-quotes in the title field in a couple of screens, like in the administrating a category screen and when creating or editing an article, etc. If you use a title like this:

Experts Say "Millennials" Are Killing The Pickle Industry

...what you'll end up with in the title field after saving it is:

Experts Say

Everything after the first quote is clipped off (including the first quote). I think this may also happen with single quotes in some places as well but I'm not 100% certain about that.

3) Also, one feature suggestion, if you feel it has merit. I'd love a Delete button (just for admins) on the edit screen for article pages so the page could be killed off on the spot. Hunting down a rogue article and paging to it can take a while.

4) Finally, could you please tell me where the CSS is for the pagination at the bottom of the Category pages is? I'd like to make the page buttons a little bigger. I've looked for it but I'm still unsure which bit it is.

Thank you!

lurkalot

tino

Quote from: MrMike on September 11, 2023, 11:32:14 PMOkay, here are a couple of things I've found during use...I'm not sure if they're bugs, it may just be me not understanding the system well enough.

1) Editing a download item- I can't seem to add a new icon to a download item- I go through the steps to upload the icon, the page refreshes, but it doesn't appear in the icon list. I can manually put a new icon in the directory and it appears in the list, but not when I upload it. I'm wondering if this might be a directory permission issue on my end perhaps (??)

2) I think there's an issue with using double-quotes in the title field in a couple of screens, like in the administrating a category screen and when creating or editing an article, etc. If you use a title like this:

Experts Say "Millennials" Are Killing The Pickle Industry

...what you'll end up with in the title field after saving it is:

Experts Say

Everything after the first quote is clipped off (including the first quote). I think this may also happen with single quotes in some places as well but I'm not 100% certain about that.

3) Also, one feature suggestion, if you feel it has merit. I'd love a Delete button (just for admins) on the edit screen for article pages so the page could be killed off on the spot. Hunting down a rogue article and paging to it can take a while.

4) Finally, could you please tell me where the CSS is for the pagination at the bottom of the Category pages is? I'd like to make the page buttons a little bigger. I've looked for it but I'm still unsure which bit it is.

Thank you!

I'll look at these over the weekend if I get the chance.

If you know what css element it is you need to replace/change you can use tp-custom.css and put your own custom css in there which will overwrite what we have and also in theory not be changed when you do an upgrade.

@rjen

Quote from: MrMike on September 11, 2023, 11:32:14 PMFinally, could you please tell me where the CSS is for the pagination at the bottom of the Category pages is? I'd like to make the page buttons a little bigger. I've looked for it but I'm still unsure which bit it is

It is in tp-style.css

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

MrMike

@rjen

Quote from: tino on September 14, 2023, 10:45:02 AM3) Also, one feature suggestion, if you feel it has merit. I'd love a Delete button (just for admins) on the edit screen for article pages so the page could be killed off on the spot. Hunting down a rogue article and paging to it can take a while.

Just looking into this: it seems a usefull feature, but I am puzzled what page you would expect to return to after deleting an article in edit mode: you cannot return to the article page, since it is not there anymore.

Obvious solution would be to return to the "Articles in category" admin page, but that will be pretty confusing if the user is just accessing the article direct form the viewing page and deletes the article: you dont wat to dump them in an admin page.

The alternative would be to return to the category page for the category the article was in, but that has a similar downside for a user that comes from the admin page... seems like a catch 22.
I do not see a way to 'know' where a user came from before they edited the article...

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl