TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 11:53:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 188
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 150
  • Total: 151
  • @rjen

TP Enhancements (not new features), for v9.

Started by Xarcell, March 02, 2006, 06:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

After tinkering with v.86 quite a bit, I have a few more suggestions.

1.| I think the "Calendar" block code snippet works great, and should be included with TP release. LinK: http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?topic=700.0

2.| Calendar tab should be added beside "Shoutbox" offering administration options and permissions. It looks like you can use the same/similair permission system from SMF calendar.

3.| I think the "Shoutbox" should be listed as a module, since it's not something SMF already uses, and should administrated as a  module. Meaning, the shoutbox administation tab should be moved with administration from "blocks" to "modules".

4.| I think there should be a "Polls" block.  Which shows latest poll within the forum, or optional desinated poll. This block should be relased with TP. Currently the SSI one doesn't work properly.

5.| I think module links within the userinfo block should be moved to the content block. before long, the userinfo block will get too long, filled with module links.

6.| Admin link should be listed within the "tools" inside the userinfo block. With:  submit an article, upload file, tp administration, etc.

7.| "Tools" is sounds tacky to me, but it's Bloc's call. I prefer "Administration" or something of the sort. Especially since most of the links involve administation.

8.| Again, Bloc's Call, but I think the avatar should be center within the userinfo block with a line break or something after "Hello YOUR NAME".

9.| I think you should consider "nokonium" format finessing suggested for the "Recent Topic's" block. Looks more professional and easier on the eyes. Link: http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?topic=2467.0

10.| Recent Topic's block should have an option to show topic's from admin selected boards. Example: all, Board, board & child boards, certain child boards and even ARTICLES. It would also be nice to display more than one recent topic block. A tab should be added beside "shoutbox"  which shows you each recent topic's block you created, and administration options for each one created. Not simple to code, but easier management and resolves most of your future problems/requests.

11.| Again "Recent Topic's", "Poll", and "Calendar" tabs should be listed under "blocks", beside the"Shoubox" tab within administration.

12.| kinda petty, but I think the stats block could use smaller icons. Also, be able to showhow limit the number of user's shown. For high traffic sites, it is too long.

13.| I think Bloc is already on the right track with the articles adjustments. So no suggestiosn there.

I may add more later, after some research and thinking...

Just my 2 cents.

-Xarcell, forever helpful.

borgBOB

Very thought provoking post.
I see a problem with moving links to the content block, as not all users utilize this feature.
I aggree more with your line of thought on the calendar and shoutbox.
I like the user block as is. Although a centered avatar would look better.

bloc

Many good suggestions here. Some i wasn't aware of.. :)

The "custom" blocks is something I like to explore further, calendar,poll etc. And "recent articles" or even just "recent topics/articles" is good ideas. Agreed that both recent topics, and menu manager should be multi-purpose.