TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 11:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,175
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 177
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 134
  • Total: 134

Feature Requests for TP 2!!!

Started by blizz-craft, July 23, 2009, 02:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZarPrime

What question are you awaiting an answer on?  Is it this?

Quote from: blizz-craft on July 24, 2009, 11:52:51 AM
Also, can I be a alpha or beta tester for TinyPortal in the future to support it???

If so, the answer wrt beta testers is that every member of TinyPortal is a beta tester if they want to be, including you.

If it is wrt alpha testers, only people who have demonstrated a remarkable knowledge of TP and how it works, and contributed to assisting others to a great extent are ever selected for this honor.  Many of them are theme designers or Mod authors, but that is not necessarily a criteria.  It is by invitation only from Bloc and generally only after the entire team has agreed that the person would be good for the position.  Alpha testers have never been invited just because they want to be one and there is no formal application process.  It's been quite awhile since anyone has stood out well enough in the eyes of the Team to be invited to be an alpha tester, but that doesn't mean that we couldn't select someone to do it at any time we choose to.  I will end this now, and if Bloc, or Ichbin or G6, or any of the other Team members wants to comment further, they can do so.

If you want to know more, this page on the Docs site may give you additional information, thought the part about beta testers is slightly changed since pretty much everyone is a beta tester now.  The page is here ...
http://docs.tinyportal.co.uk/index.php/board,14.0/sort,subject.html

ZarPrime

mc

Quote from: blizz-craft on July 23, 2009, 12:28:00 PM
Answer for IchBin:
1- I didnt mean the whole menu... I meant each Menu Link... Its a great feature, limited for Guests, and more for Users, that would bring more traffic to your comunitty if you force the guest to register, lmao.

I'm guessing you never understood what IchBin said.
There's two ways I can think of doing this.

First one is create two seperate html blocks.
One viewable only to guests.
One viewable only to members.
Both contain the same HTML menu listing, except the guest one has whatever menu items you don't want guests to access, text only with no link.

Other method would be to create a php block, wherby it checks to see if the user is a guest or member, then depending on that, either includes links, or just displays the basic text.

First method would be a bit harder to maintain, but the second would make maintenace a bit easier, at the expense of the extra coding required.

antechinus

I'll be very interested to see the first beta release of this. Since this is a feature requests thread I'll add one of my own.

A decent panel collapse/expand ability accessible from anywhere on the site would be good. Tiny upshrinks that are stuck in a corner and scroll away are not optimal IMO. ;)

mc

What would like to see in TP?

I would think that collapse/expand accesibility was more of a theme issue, rather than a core TP issue...

blizz-craft

Quote from: mc on July 25, 2009, 03:14:01 PM
Quote from: blizz-craft on July 23, 2009, 12:28:00 PM
Answer for IchBin:
1- I didnt mean the whole menu... I meant each Menu Link... Its a great feature, limited for Guests, and more for Users, that would bring more traffic to your comunitty if you force the guest to register, lmao.
I'm guessing you never understood what IchBin said.
There's two ways I can think of doing this.

First one is create two seperate html blocks.
One viewable only to guests.
One viewable only to members.
Both contain the same HTML menu listing, except the guest one has whatever menu items you don't want guests to access, text only with no link.

Other method would be to create a php block, wherby it checks to see if the user is a guest or member, then depending on that, either includes links, or just displays the basic text.

First method would be a bit harder to maintain, but the second would make maintenace a bit easier, at the expense of the extra coding required.
I did understand what IchBin said, and thats not the feature I wanted...
In TP 1.0 beta 3 and 1.0 beta 4, you can make menus and put them in a block...
Now what I wanted was, instead of a block changing, I wanted a "MENU LINK" to change.
By this:
Go to: Admin>TinyPortal>Menus then make a menu catagory with menu links
Then:
Go to: Panels and Blocks> Blocks> Create> Menu> Internal
Then you get it...
But I want:
Admin>TinyPortal>Menus>Creat Link> Permission:
Visible to Guests? Visible to Members? Visible to Moderators? Visible to Administrators?
like that...

antechinus

Quote from: mc on July 26, 2009, 12:16:25 AM
What would like to see in TP?
I would think that collapse/expand accesibility was more of a theme issue, rather than a core TP issue...
And you'd be wrong.  ;)  It's core TP functionality.

bloc

I am working on a better upshrink routine - and yes, it is indeed a core function sent with the headers.

Blizzcraft, adding permission checks(or at least member/guest check) is something I'll consider, it seem to be a useful feature , instead of having two different menus+blocks.

Kimmen

It could be useful if you were able to select which blocs to display in forum. Now i have right & left blocs shown at my frontpage in an order i like, In the forum, i just want to have blocs displayed on left side, but it needs to take blocs from both left and right side in forum.

Example:

If i have bloc 1, 2, 3, 4 on left side, and 5, 6, 7, 8 on right side, visible at frontpage. Then i want 1,3,5,8 displayed on the left side in forums, that i guess is not possible now.

Greets
Kim

JPDeni

I would think that would be pretty complicated both to program and to configure for everyone, especially when it's something few people would need. Most of all, though, it would be confusing for the users of your site. If they are used to looking for block 5 on the right side, they will expect to see it there all the time. Mixing things up can be quite annoying.

Just my two cents worth. :)

Kimmen

Confusing perhaps, but to get the message out, it would atleast help me out. Anyways, just a suggestion.  :)