TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 02:03:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 167
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 117
  • Total: 117

News Front page @ website.com and forum @ forum.website.com ?

Started by JaGuR, June 13, 2016, 07:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaGuR

Hi guys,

I am wondering if it is possible to locate my forum at forum.website.com and have a front page for news / blog at website.com ?

Also, how well does TP work as a front page for news and or blog ?

I have found my forum has gone backwards over the last few years which I think may relate to Google changing how forums are indexed for search results.

From what I can gather, to try to re-capture some of the Google traffic that we used to enjoy, I need to create a blog, but I need to separate the blog from the actual forum so Google doesn't still see it as a forum :/

This will drive traffic to my blog and hopefully increase participation in my forum again.

my forum is currently

www.racehorsetalk.com.au

illori

it is not possible to move the front page with TP to another location.

Ken.

TinyPortal can work very well as a front page for a news platform depending on how you have it setup. One way would be to create a 'Front Page Article' and then keep it updated as needed to keep your news fresh. There are a number of things you can do to make good use of your TP front page, take a look around it your TP control panel for some ideas.

Having a separate wed address for a blog is a bit more of a challenge.
If you do a search over on SMF for SMF/WordPress you'll find that for several years now people have been trying to do this, but the results have been somewhat disappointing.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

JaGuR

OK, I will leave that go, is there a way to change Home to News in the menu ?

and to rewrite

http://www.racehorsetalk.com.au/index.php?action=forum

to

http://www.racehorsetalk.com.au/forum/

and

http://www.racehorsetalk.com.au/index.php

minus the index.php

The last bit would be via .htacess I am guessing

Thanks guys

JaGuR

OK,

I have pretty url mod and it converts all my actions to directories.

Any reason why it is not converting action=forum to /forum/ ?

Cheers

illori

I guess it does not support that because it is not a standard feature. You would need to ask the author if it can.

Ken.

JaGuR, you may find these two pages useful if you decide to give TP Articles a try for your front page.

This topic appears here on TP in the news board:
The TinyPortal Article Management System.

And this index of topics dealing with TP Articles appears in the TinyPortal Docs boards:
Articles Setup & Management
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

JaGuR

I want to show a side panel only on the front page, not the rest of the forum, is this possible ?

lurkalot

Quote from: JaGuR on June 15, 2016, 07:20:09 AM
I want to show a side panel only on the front page, not the rest of the forum, is this possible ?

Hi JaGuR.

Sure, you can show panels where ever you want them to show. 

Best way would be to set each block in that panel to show where you want.  In other words, if none of the blocks are set to show on the front page then the panel wont show on the front page. Each block has settings for you to tell it where and where not to display.

If you look at our front page for example, there's no left or right panels showing, but there is in the forum. Done the way I described.

Ken.

JaGuR, have a look at the page (linked below) in our TP Docs boards for some insight into how blocks work. It tells you about choices in your block settings screen where you'll find a section for "Choose where the block should appear" and those settings will give you the control that lurkalot is speaking of.
A Detailed Look at Block Settings