TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:56:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 119
  • Total: 119

SMF 107 TP install Problems.........

Started by cntry, July 06, 2006, 03:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cntry

I started with the manual install text file.
Halfway through the text file I can't find anything it is saying to replace??
So I go to the forum here for help, most of the replies make no sense to me?
The one that makes most sense say to cmod all SMF files to 777, doesn't this kill all security in SMF?
So back to the forum, now I get from most that there are over 500 posts here I can read to figure it out?????
Is there an install document anywhere?
If you look at the install forum 90% of what you see is "Install Problem"
I would really like to try SMF/TP out but without an install guide it seams rather futile.

Techdomain

have you tried using the installing the package using the smf package manager?

cntry

Yes I tried that also. Got errors. :(

nstalling this package will perform the following actions:
   Type    Action    Description
1.    Extract Tree    ./Themes    
2.    Extract Tree    ./Sources    
3.    Extract Tree    ./wysiwyg    
4.    Extract Tree    ./tp-downloads    
5.    Execute Code    tp_install.php    
6.    Execute Modification    ./index.php    Success
7.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Load.php    Success
8.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/index.template.php    Success
9.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Success
10.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php    Success
11.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Security.php    Success

[ Proceed ]

An Error Has Occurred!
2: copy(/home/welder/public_html/members/Themes/default/images/english/tpgallery.gif): failed to open stream: Permission denied
File: /home/welder/public_html/members/Sources/Subs-Package.php
Line: 961
There is what happens.

G6Cad

You have to change the permission for some files so TP can access them correct.
Use the Adminpanel/packagemanager , set up your ftp account to the correct values there, and let smf and TP make the correct changes for you. Or change the files manually through ftp .

agridoc

cntry CHMOD your default theme directory and subdirectories to 777 (or 755 depending on host) and repeat package install.

The same applies for Packages directory and contents.

First part seems to go OK.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF

G6Cad

Just thought of something.
What version of TP is it you are trying to install ?

cntry

G6,
Just installed a couple days ago, should be 0.8.6
I tried the FTP thing in admin, click the save button, but I dont know where the saved files go?

agridoc

Go to Packages from admin panel to see.

Downloaded packages go to /Packages SMF subdir.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF

cntry

Mod Name     Version      
1.    TinyPortal    0.86    [ Apply Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    SMF 1.0.7 / 1.1 RC2 Update    1.0
That is what show in PM.
Isnt it unsafe to chmod all directories to 777?

Techdomain

well yes, it is.. haveing said that, it isnt that bad, so long as the files themselves arent all 777. I would change them, and then install. in the package manager you can reset the chmods (its in options or settings - the last tab I think) later on.

agridoc

If you started from a fresh install of SMF 1.07, the patch SMF 1.0.7 / 1.1 RC2 Update must not be applied. It is for upgrading 1.06 to 1.07.

Try first removing it.

insane

I tried doing the same thing and when I upload the Tiny Portal 0.86 and then try applying it I get the following error:

The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.

Im using SMF1.07 and Tiny Portal 0.86

agridoc

Hello insane, can you do a package install in your host?

Some hosts run PHP in safe mode not permitting package install. In this case you will get this message with ANY package you are trying to install.

Try to remember, when you installed SMF, did you see a message to change some dirs and files attributes? Do you remember if you had to do this by FTP?

insane

Hey agro I actually found a link that had you do the files only followed by the manual install of the DB tables and Im all good!! Working like a charm :) Thanks for offering the help to me though. Much appreciated.

cntry

agridoc
It is from a fantastico install version 105, then online upgrade in admin.

agridoc

If you applied sussecfully this patch from a package TP install should go without problems.

I have seen some problems reported in the past for SMF installed by Fantastico, that was sometime ago. Do a search there. If your forum is just for testing try a new fresh install of 1.07 or 1.1 RC2.

cntry

agridoc,
It is going to be a live setup which needs to be pretty secure, I think I need to use another program until TP is a little further along.
Was just trying SMF when I saw what TP could add to it and it was basically what I was looking for.
I have been running Postnuke, phpbb, Gallery and some others for around 5 years.
I just seem to be missing something here.
Thanks for the Help.

agridoc

cntry you are familiar with your system and you have developed your site gradually all these years.

Changing from a system that goes well is a difficult and not always wise decision. I believe that you will start considering it seriously only if you see another site, similar to yours to work equally well or better than yours.

If you want it for a new site I think SMF+TP worths trying a little harder.

cntry

agridoc,
I'm not done yet.

My main website is for Motorcycles in Arizona and right now I have a couple of runs to cover, so I will put this on hold for a couple weeks.

I really like the SMF/TP set up.

I will be back for more!

Rolls

I too nwould love to install TP in my SMF 1.7 forum, but I can't seem to get it into the package manager to run. I have tried many ways, but nothing seems to work. It's been a little bit since I first set everything up, but I never had problems setting up other ad ons before.

If someone here thinks they can set it up, I would be really interested and give them admin rights so they could try it. I want Tiny Portal real bad, but it's not showing me any love so far.

Rolls

G6Cad

If you do a little bit of search you will have all the info needed to make it all by your self.

i suggest you read through in the install forum and see what you have to do to make it :)

Rolls

Well I have done a lot of reading, not only here but at SMFhacks and others. Regardless, I don't seem able to get it into my package folder in the correct way so I can install it. I guess I will just keep looking for another portal.

Thanks anyways

Rolls

IchBin

The easy way to install this mod is through the package manager. So lucky for you, there's a way to install this without the package manager. Manually! All that is required is that you upload the "files only" (unzipped of course) package to your forum folder. Then run the manual_install.php file. Then take the modification text file and apply the changes to your SMF files where necessary. And viola! You have a new portal on your forum.

Rolls

Can you please tell me how I go about running the tp_install.php? I have a folder with the TP program inside, including the tp_install.php on the server. However, I don't know how I actually run it from there.

Thanks

Rolls

G6Cad

Point your browser to where you have the file located
EG: http://www.yourdomain.com/forum/tp_install.php

make sure you have uploaded all the TP files to the proper folders and pasted the code needed in to the files as instructed from the manual install text :)

Rolls

Thanks G6
That is the way I thought I was supposed to do it, but I wind up with an error that continues like this, (below) for a full page:

Warning: mysql_query(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/r/d/w/rdwco/html/smf/Tinyportal0_86_rev2/tp_install.php on line 16

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/content/r/d/w/rdwco/html/smf/Tinyportal0_86_rev2/tp_install.php on line 16

Warning: mysql_query(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/content/r/d/w/rdwco/html/smf/Tinyportal0_86_rev2/tp_install.php on line 24

Any idea why?

Rolls

agridoc

Go to TinyPortal v.0.8.6 - manual install (database only)

Download the file, upload by FTP in your SMF/TP dir and run it. Delete after use.

See how it goes.

IchBin

Quote from: agridoc on July 30, 2006, 09:49:52 AM
Go to TinyPortal v.0.8.6 - manual install (database only)

Download the file, upload by FTP in your SMF/TP dir and run it. Delete after use.

See how it goes.
As Agridoc pointed out, you are running the wrong install file. The manual install.php file is the right one. Just wanted to make sure you were clear on what you were doing.