TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 12:25:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 188
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 169
  • Total: 170
  • tino

May I ask why?!

Started by olti, March 03, 2007, 02:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hygron

You go Gobo...I have the same feelings when it comes to learning.  The more software you try;  the more you learn

Skhilled

I agree with you there, GoBo. There's something good to be said for most forum software. Learning that and applying it to fit your needs is a great way to learn and better the software you use. There is a lot of cross-over between forums, cms, etc. While the software from one may not work well it may have a few great features that everyone wants.

I use different software for different projects. Use the right tool for the job...

hygron

I posted this to my friend in cali, and here is his response.
http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=13830.new#new

someone brought up a team support member at tiny portal, owned a forum using vbulletin, and asked why.

It was mentioned that some of his members preferred the options available from jelsoft.

However, when I brought up the fact that a friend in cali (You) said vbulletin was more secure. One of my "buds" over there at tinyportal gave me these links...
OH yeah. I just gave you the link to the thread.
Anyway. Good reading. I got a kick out of this info from secunia. Peace H

friend in cali's note:
I already new about that and so did they. I got this from them 2 day's ago.

---- NEW VBULLETIN VERSIONS RELEASED: 3.5.8 AND 3.6.5 ----
An exploit was recently reported which affects vBulletin versions 3.5.x and 3.6.x. Although the report is inaccurate and the published exploit does not work as claimed unless a highly unlikely set of circumstances exist, it has highlighted a potential security issue in these vBulletin versions.
Therefore, we have decided to release updated versions, these being vBulletin 3.5.8 and 3.6.5. We recommend that all customers running vBulletin 3.5.x or 3.6.x upgrade to the appropriate version or apply the supplied patch as soon as possible.
It is worth noting that in order to exploit the problem highlighted by the report, the attacking user must satisfy the following conditions:
* Must already have moderator privileges
* Must share the same IP address as an existing administrator who is currently logged in to the Admin Control Panel
* Must know the Alt-IP and user agent (exact browser identification) of the administrator OR must know the license number of the site being attacked
Given these requirements, the privilege escalation exploit claimed by the report is almost impossible to achieve.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I Just thought this was also interesting.  Same as smf and tiny portal.  everyone has to update.  right? Hygron

IchBin

For sure. Everyone has these types of updates. But they may also want to look at the number itself, and not just the exploits.

hygron

I'm with you ichbin.  I am just posting for continuity and information.  thanks for responding.