TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 09:57:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 183
  • Total: 183

Javascript issue with Firefox and netscape

Started by ~Wibble~, July 12, 2006, 10:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Wibble~

Hi,

I have a problem with Firefox and Netscape incorrectly displaying a series of images called remotely via javascript.

The script is to show the status of our gaming server.  It builds a series of images with absolute positioning flowing down the page. These are displayed correctly in IE6 but not in the aforementioned browsers used by my clan mates.  Firefox and Netscape stack the images one on top of the other in the same space.

The same script functions correctly on a standard html page using both those browsers.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The call in question is as follows...the script itself isn't anything I have control over and I cannot change it.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"
SRC="http://share1.serverspy.net/cgi-bin/monitor.js?mid=140897">
</SCRIPT>

You can see it on my site for the next 12 hours or so at the bottom of the right hand panel:
www.bbc-clan.co.uk

Thanks.

IchBin

Well it doesn't display for me properly in either IE or FF. With IE it puts a "Get Firefox" image in the middle of it....

I would say you may want to ask the developer of the script if they can help too.

~Wibble~

Thanks for your reply Ichbin

To clarify:

This is IE6 and is displayed correctly:

This is how FF and Netscape appear:

The code works without issue in a standard HTML page in all browsers I mentioned and is on thousands of clan sites.  Ironically the white firefox image is an advertisment that is retrieved along with the server info.  :)

~Wibble~

I took your advice IchBin and spoke to the scripts developers and they have informed me that this is the offending code, found at the top, I'm sure you know, of any page of the site:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

I removed it manually from a prepared page for a test and it indeed does the trick..therefore I have 2 questions.

Firstly, is it safe to remove this troublemaker?
If so, where would I likely find its origin considering I am using  SMF 1.1 RC2 and TinyPortal 0.8.6?

Cheers.

~Wibble~

IchBin

I really don't know what removing that would do. If it works, why the heck not lol. Its origin would be in the index.template of every theme I'm assuming.

~Wibble~

aaahh, the themes...doh!  Didn't think to look there.  :idiot2:

Thanks for your help with this. :D

~Wibble~

A quick update for you...it does indeed cure the initial problem, however now IE6 displays all text on a page a size larger than it should.  eg: Set to medium, everything looks as it does when set to Large in the view settings. 
Typically FF and Netscape are not affected.

Time to scrap the idea.  :D

Thanks for your time once again.