TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 08:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 274
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 264
  • Total: 264

Basic Installation Guide

Started by Paladin, April 27, 2006, 03:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

SMF 1.0.7/apollo(TP) www.talwalpingardens.com.au

I followed these instructions to the letter:

"Use your server Admin Panel or FTP to chmod ALL directories and files including the root directory of your SMF installation to 777.

Your FTP software should contain a checkbox or similar which allows you to chmod the SMF root directory and ALL sub directories and files in one operation.

Important: If some directories and files in your SMF installation are not set to 777, you may encounter errors. Please BE SURE all directories and files are set to 777 before proceeding."

After doing this I went back to my site and got this message:

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@talwalpingardens.com.au and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I chmodded everything (SMF and below) back to 755 and my site came back again.  Apologies if this is a stupid question, or should be directed to SMF, but could somebody advise me on what I should be doing?

G6Cad

Sounds like something your host have set up as some sort of safty on your server.
To chmod to 777 on the rootfile is the last thing you want to do, that way every one out there get access to your files. You sohould only change the files that the installation calls for and should give you a screen of and tell you what files to change.

So my guess is that when you changed all the files including the root file your server closed the connection for saftey reasons  ???

Paladin

Quote from: G6 on April 27, 2006, 07:27:17 AM
Sounds like something your host have set up as some sort of safty on your server.
To chmod to 777 on the rootfile is the last thing you want to do, that way every one out there get access to your files. You sohould only change the files that the installation calls for and should give you a screen of and tell you what files to change.

So my guess is that when you changed all the files including the root file your server closed the connection for saftey reasons  ???

Hmmm - he didn't say anything when I wrote out a support ticket - just told me what to do to get the site back up again.
If chmodding everything creates a security risk, shouldn't the "basic Installation Guidelines" be changed?

G6Cad

I dont think the installation guide say anything about change the root fole of your domain to 777. As i read it it say what i wrote in the post before.

Change the files needed by the installation (that list of files you get when you run the package if anything is wrong or need to change)

In the post he say that there is a funktion to change all files and subdirectorys to 777 should be changed though. Thats not a good to go if you forget to change all the files back again.

Paladin

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me, and I'm not trying to be smart because I'm a newbie and don't know anything - that's why I followed instructions to the letter:

"Use your server Admin Panel or FTP to chmod ALL directories and files including the root directory of your SMF installation to 777"

I'll see if I can determine which files need to be changed and take it from there.

Thanks again for your help  :up:

G6Cad

QuoteI'll see if I can determine which files need to be changed and take it from there.

The installer should give you "red error lines" and tell you what the errors are all about. It should also say what files you need to change the permissions to. Thats the files you need to change :)

And dont be sorry :)  There are a lot of things i dont know to :)