TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 04:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56

1.0.6 beta3

Started by SonicBorg, October 20, 2008, 04:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheik28

I did not mean to jump down their throat, that's why after re-reading the post I made sure I covered all possibilities as to what they meant.
My main goal was to make sure they knew what beta meant, I see THAT a lot. People use beta software and then complain when things are broken. I merely wanted to clarify the meaning ;)

IchBin

Whats lacking in the Documentation section? By all means feel free to suggest and even help instead of criticizing. If I'm going to use a beta product, and I plan to use it on a live site, you can bet that I'm going to do my own investigation on what is going on with the product before doing anything with it. If there's a link to the bugtracker in the main menu, and they have a support board, that is the first place I'd be looking to see how the product is doing. Don't see why anyone else wouldn't do the same.

Petee

Jumping on someone on these forums is definitely the norm. Its so much fun to bash someone and pretend they dont read anything!  

I know this software is beta and I am not a new user to it. I don't use this on a commercial site because its beta. I do have this on a personal site though as most of you do.  Not everyone uses TinyPortal the same. Sure articles work if you make them featured. Are you really going to have 80 Featured articles with your frontpage slammed with them? I don't think so. Even if you did, you don't always want them right on the front page initially. If I only had only a couple of articles, all would be great.  But, not everyones sites are setup the same.

My whole point of replying here is based off the sheer number of posts we have about the articles and categories being broken.  On the initial news post that links the download, I just think it would be a good place to stick a blurb in there about the articles.  It sure would cut down on the amount of hair being pulled out.

Ianedres

I simply disagree with you on your response above concerning any attacks in the posts, nor will I argue about it.

Moving on...

Beta software is simply that; TP 1.06 is labeled as such in the file download. A certain level of knowledge is implied by not having a prominent warning message about the beta status. Any type of software update requires a certain level of caution and TP is no different.

I will bring this up your suggestion for a warning display to be implemented. It will likely require some code modification in the downloads, but I will nonetheless make the suggestion in the team boards.

As far as notifying everyone about current issues, that is what the bugtracker is for and I encourage everyone to monitor its progress. The issues are noted there, as well as the 'Bugs/Errors' sub-board. Obviously, the 'beta' release is done first, which then the bugs are reported- which, is the purpose of releasing the beta package to such a large number of people.

At any rate, I think TP is ahead of the curve in features and support. This is a free package of scripts that involve an inordinate amount of time and resources, and everyone within the TP Team makes an earnest and worthwhile attempt at supporting everyone's issues, without expecting any type of compensation.

The documentation, numerous links in the FAQ, search boxes, and other short-cuts to 'immediate' assistance try to address issues that members experience. All of that represents many, many hours of trying to provide everyone with

The boards are the best way to track the progress of TP, though I'm sure no one wants to wade through the thousands of messages. But checking the recent messages about the latest version should be some indicator to help decide if the newest package is what you want, with its accompanying issues.

ed_m2

beta... not a problem.

it would be a _nice_ feature on the download page perhaps to link to a bugtracker query of open bugs related to that version, or list the top five.. or just say how many open bugs are against it.
(yes a sensible step for anyone before playing with new beta software, have i ever bothered? no of course not but i take it as it comes for now)

FUBAR

The whole point of a Beta is to work out all the bugs; so to have to post them all when downloading it would be impossible.  I'm sure new bugs are reported all the time so it would be just as easy to check the bug tracker.  If any new member joined Tinyportal it would only take a few minutes to see if there are problems with a beta release, especially if they are critical errors.  I've been here for quite a few years now and might not have a lot of posts but I've always been able to use the "search" to find what I've needed.  If not, I ask the right questions and the staff here is always willing to help with my sites issues. 

As said before in this thread, not everyone's site is the same and it's hard to provide support to everyone individually due to that.  The only time I've seen the staff here give anyone a hard time is when people don't read the sticky's in the support forum.  It can be frustrating as well because everyone wants help but it's not fair to the members here or the staff if people don't follow the rules set forth for the site and just expect answers to be given to them.

G6Cad

And as a side note to this about release.

It will not take the same amount of time to release the fix package or as you prefer, beta3.
Bloc have done most of the bugs, and alpha testers need to install the version to test it and see so we dont run into any more of these bigger issues like we did with the article system now for beta3.
So i urge you to sit tight, have a bit of patiense, and we wil all be well and sleep good when it arrives  :D

FUBAR

That's great news!  Thanks for the update G6.  :)

buzinator

Hi, I just noticed tinyportal.co.uk says it's running v1.0.7 beta 3 ... sorry if i'm slow to notice but this seems like news to me. Are things progressing well with the testing so far?

G6Cad

Both yes and no, we dont give away info on the progress other theen the usuall answer,. when you see it out for download, Bloc thinks it's good enough to beta test
1.0.7 havent been released to alpha yet