TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 12:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 78
  • Total: 78

Changes in life

Started by bloc, August 09, 2014, 12:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

..happen to most of us, and luckily not all are negative ones either. :)

For myself I getting the interest for TP renewed(after working with a almost-portal-SMF-like fork a few years) and getting more involved here.

I also have a new job. My former job meant a lot of travelling at times, and generally was more stressful than I liked to admit(due to uncertain working hours and if there WAS a job at times :P ) . Now I sit in one place(well, almost then) and repair computers lol, which suits me just fine.The hours are steady and my health have improved. After several years of being, well, a bit heavier than I wished for, I took the problem by the bull's horns ( :P ) and started walking every day in a fast pace, along with a more strict diet. No more seconds and big fast-food dinners hehe. And it worked, I am now 6-7 kg lighter than before the summer and feel great.

So, anyone else visiting the TP site feeling the changes of life lately?

lurkalot

Thought I could detect a new spark of enthusiasm in you bloc, now it all makes sense as to why.  Nice one. O0

For the last year I've been having to cope with my father who was diagnosed with terminal cancer, so have been spending most of the spare time looking after him, and when things got worse, visiting him in hospital or in a nursing home.  At the end of April. me and my brother and sister became orphans, as my dad sadly passed away. 

We are slowly getting things sorted out, but it's been a very stressful twelve months.

Lesmond

Things are hard for all at times, my wife has got Vasculitis a disorder that destroy blood vessels by inflammation. Both arteries and veins are affected, she has had to have veins removed from her legs so finds it hard to walk at times, but she is a fighter :knuppel2:

I have not been so good this last few weeks, but a lot better now and ready to get going again.

I built my first computer 2 month ago, something I have always wanted to do, I was very pleased with the results...

This is what I put in it..

GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 AMD 760G (Socket AM3+) Micro-ATX Motherboard
AMD (Piledriver) FX-6300 3.50GHz (4.10GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 6-Core Processor
Dominator Midi Tower Gaming Case
EVGA 500W 80 Plus Power Supply
8GB Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte(2x4GB) 1600mhz

I already had the ATI Radeon HD 4650, 160gb Intel ssd, 2x 1tb hdd, Optical drive.

And here in its new home...

Skhilled

Sorry to hear about your dad, Mick. It can be stressful but things will eventually get better.

I've had to change my diet as well due to extremely high blood pressure. I've always walked a lot and even more so when I got into photography. After finding out my pressure was high enough they wanted to hospitalize me because they thought I was gonna die, I've decided enough was enough and have drastically changed my diet. I eat mostly fruits and veggies now with the occasional burger, etc. I've lost a about 15 pounds and the bp is down a lot but I'm still on some pretty strong meds for now.

bloc

Mick, sad to hear about your dad, I lost my father some 7 years ago, leaving us 5 kids without parents..all grown up then, but still, took a toll on the youngest(I am the eldest). I guess the best you can do is to stick together and live on as best one can. Sadly we drifted a bit apart the following years, but lately have re-connected a bit.

Lesmond, I know you had challenges, glad to hear its on the better now. And congrats on building your PC! I've done 4-5 past years, always great to make you own system. :) Laptops I never liked so still building lol.

Skhilled, your story is similar to mine actually.. I too have had high blood pressure 2 years ago and take pills for it now - but after being more determined to actually do something about it this summer, the blood pressure have dropped to a stage where I prob. need to reduce it hehe. Less pills = better. Its also how I got into exercise tracking apps and its websites - I don't actually need those, but it gives me a little more incentive when I can track it..if nothing else to see the development in myself. I am hoping TP can be helpful in this, for example with a "activity" mdoule. ;) That would be awesome, as most of them cost money and most times have *a lot* of features I don't need.

Skhilled

When you are happier you tend to want to do more and better things for yourself. When things are bad you get depressed and that's when things tend to go south. Doing activities that you love does help...as long as you remember to get up from the PC once in awhile and do something active. LOL

bloc

Exactly. :) And hey, if you MUST have the computer things at all times - go out and bring the smartphone with you. Just remember to look up so you don't bump into other people. Or a car. Not a car. Thats bad. :P

Skhilled

Yes, very bad! I do not text and drive nor even walk and text....like this woman here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpVpsaItpU

She had the nerve to try and sue the mall after that! She was a worker there and was also caught trying to steal from a fellow employee! LMAO

lurkalot

Quote from: Skhilled on August 09, 2014, 02:57:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad, Mick. It can be stressful but things will eventually get better.

I've had to change my diet as well due to extremely high blood pressure. I've always walked a lot and even more so when I got into photography. After finding out my pressure was high enough they wanted to hospitalize me because they thought I was gonna die, I've decided enough was enough and have drastically changed my diet. I eat mostly fruits and veggies now with the occasional burger, etc. I've lost a about 15 pounds and the bp is down a lot but I'm still on some pretty strong meds for now.

Thanks Skhilled, yeah things are getting easier now, although we're still sorting out his stuff, it's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate over 91 years.  Been clearing more of it today, and feel guilty going through all his stuff, but it has to be done.

I have no doubt your blood pressure has gone down, but after eating that diet I bet the wind has increased.  :D

Quote from: bloc on August 09, 2014, 03:14:44 PM
Mick, sad to hear about your dad, I lost my father some 7 years ago, leaving us 5 kids without parents..all grown up then, but still, took a toll on the youngest(I am the eldest). I guess the best you can do is to stick together and live on as best one can. Sadly we drifted a bit apart the following years, but lately have re-connected a bit.

Cheers bloc.  In our case I'm 54 and the youngest of three.  I think it's the most we've all been together since we were kids. My brother only lives a couple of miles away, and we work together, my sister is a two hour drive away, so don't usually see here very often.

Quote from: Lesmond on August 09, 2014, 02:54:25 PM
Things are hard for all at times, my wife has got Vasculitis a disorder that destroy blood vessels by inflammation. Both arteries and veins are affected, she has had to have veins removed from her legs so finds it hard to walk at times, but she is a fighter :knuppel2:

I have not been so good this last few weeks, but a lot better now and ready to get going again.

I built my first computer 2 month ago, something I have always wanted to do, I was very pleased with the results...

Les, things can't be easy for you and you wife mate, hope things improve for you both. 

Hey that PC looks like a beast, well done on the build.  I haven't done something like this for a few years, but my son wants a gaming PC, so might have to go down this route myself.  The prebuilt gaming PC's are so expensive to buy.

Skhilled

I'll not comment on the wind. LMAO

I intend to build another PC soon as it's about time. This one is getting a tad slow at times but otherwise works great. When you build a PC it will last longer and is more upgradeable down the road. You don't have to build a speed demon nor the most expensive at first but you'll want to buy the best mobo you can get so it will last and can be upgraded as finances allow later.