TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 10:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56

vBulletin and SMF

Started by brianjw, January 27, 2007, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianjw

I have recently logged on to Path-To-Peace and noticed Aku now uses VB.
I see it and it looks alot like SMF does and I was wondering if you can edit VB's files to do what you can with smf? ??? ;)

Let me know.
Brianjw

IchBin

Well you'd have to be more specific than just saying "everything". I would probably say somethings are easier in SMF and some things are easier in vB. It depends on a lot of things. Don't make the mistake of thinking that Aku has switched because its better. He's seeking to gain something in user base by going with what is popular.

Don't forget vB costs money.

brianjw

oh :( it costs money!!! .
I dont think it's worth money. SMF is worth money but it's free :D

Im sticking with SMF

IchBin

You my young padawan are learning. ;) I agree, SMF is worth money. Fortunately for us, its free!

brianjw

Yes, I understand how aku could switch to vb because he knows all the smf ways and is ready to try out another one so he can learn more about it ;)
as for me i am learning smf ways so im sticking here :D

akulion

smf and vb are very different

in fact TOTALLY different

smf has the power of templates that much i can tell u
its easier to manage templates in smf and easily customizable

in vB u have to go through an entire process to add something new, u have to declare new phrases (variables) then u have to create a new template, then u have to create a php file seperately which contains a code to store the php in a variable since the templates in vB are not in php but in html - a headache really

but then again vb has some advantages over smf in other regards like mods, its mods are very easy to install and because vb is very old it has a lot more mods available

all in all Tiny Portal is unbeatable! seriously
the portal u see me using there is called vbadvanced and its really hard to use.

In tp to add a bloc all u do is create a block.

in vbadvance to create a block, 1st u create a template for the block containing the code for the stuff, then u upload it via template manager
then u have to create a php file for the block with some prefefined code which u have to upload via block manager
finally once u have done all that and made sure about 10 different instances of names are exactly the same in every place - u can activate the block lol

hell its a headache i tell u!

as for giving out vB mods and file codes, thats not allowed at all under vB license agreement and if anyone is found distributing the code they revoke ur license

The reason I switched over to vB on THIS site is because everyone on my site was after me asking about vb

but for my own site which i will eventually launch I will be using SMf which is much easier to customize

brianjw

Yeah :)
I am sooooooooooo staying with SMF :D

RoarinRow

Quote from: brianjw on January 28, 2007, 03:02:56 AM
Yeah :)
I am sooooooooooo staying with SMF :D

Me too cause I don't know any better and it took me this look just to even comprehend SMF/PHP and TP.  But, it's also a sad day cause I love all of Aku's snippets.  Hopefully, he'll continue with his own site and provide all the great snippets here  :up:

SMF 2.0 RC3
TP 1.0 beta 5-1
Wordpress 3.0

RoarinRow

Thanks for the heads up Aku!   :up:  The trade off doesn't seem appealing at all, esp. with someone at my level.   :o

SMF 2.0 RC3
TP 1.0 beta 5-1
Wordpress 3.0

akulion

lol i took that off actually
i realized what if someone read it and i got on the wrong side of the vB teams :2funny:

but in short: vB is running a business and they want to optimize their profits...so u see in all cases even charges for installation and other work they may help u with on ur site