TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 04:23:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 62
  • Total: 63
  • tino

[Comment] I really love TP .95!

Started by JPDeni, September 22, 2006, 06:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPDeni

I just had to say how much I love the additions in TP.95. In particular, as someone who is creating a *lot* of php articles, I appreciate the additions of the "[Edit article]" link at the bottom of the article and the "[Preview]" link at the top of the editor. It has saved me so much time just in clicking back and forth while writing code and then it checking out. I'm a "small increment" sort of coder, so I do lots and lots of checking. This is fantastic.  ;D

Also,  :up: for moving the "delete" graphic in both the articles and blocks managers. No more accidentally hitting them and risking very bad language as I realize I have just destroyed all my work. (Note to self: It's still a good idea to back up your pages in a separate place.)

bloc

:) Glad you like it. And good suggestions too! I come to use those quick-links all the time myself. No more multiple pages to keep track of.

stormlrd

Quote from: Bloc on September 22, 2006, 06:44:21 PM
:) Glad you like it. And good suggestions too! I come to use those quick-links all the time myself. No more multiple pages to keep track of.

yep and shoutbox needs one directly to the edit shouts lol. Seriously it is great.

G6Cad

And why are we calling this our HOME for :)
Just because it IS so great and warm for not say, Homie :D

Maya

The last couple of days, I have been going though different files and stuff...

You have made incredible leaps and bounds in creating a very 'robust' module ( I don't really consider TP a module anymore to be honest)

great work Bloc...

And yah, it is pretty homie around here.. :)

Thurnok

/ditto

/ditto

oh, and...
/ditto

I'm actually glad TP is a module, and not part of SMF.  If it were part of SMF, we would be stuck being part of so much a larger community that it would be hard to keep up.  :)

Maya

not to mention that getting replies there is iffy  :(  if you get one at all... :tickedoff:  ;D

Thurnok

I think its just too much to support.

It's like a large corporation vs. a small company.  The bigger you get, the more red tape, the more "corporate" environment/attitude.  People there are nice enough, but you'll always have that sense of "overwhelmingness".

I know that TP is heading in the direction of becoming a part of SMF instead of a module, but I think that I will actually be sad the day it happens.

G6Cad

QuoteI know that TP is heading in the direction of becoming a part of SMF instead of a module, but I think that I will actually be sad the day it happens.

I dont think this community will come even close to the attitude SMF have in their forum, i agree on the support, they bearly answer any questions there, more or less bite you off when they ask if you have TP installed, cant say why though.
What i do know is that the tone here, will be kept, thats why they come over here instead of asking there, we see it every day :)

alan s

Quote from: Mrs G6 on September 22, 2006, 09:14:39 PM
QuoteI know that TP is heading in the direction of becoming a part of SMF instead of a module, but I think that I will actually be sad the day it happens.

I dont think this community will come even close to the attitude SMF have in their forum, i agree on the support, they bearly answer any questions there, more or less bite you off when they ask if you have TP installed, cant say why though.
What i do know is that the tone here, will be kept, thats why they come over here instead of asking there, we see it every day :)

Tinyportal support is excellent. Everyones friendly , Alot of  the smf staff are friendly aswell. Some people can be friendler than others over there. I actually hate to say it but even being a charter member doesnt give you "priority" support.........Sure theres a helpdesk available for charter members but that isnt a whole lot better than the forum support.....at least sometimes on the forums other users have the answer to your quirey.

Maya

I  have to admit there is a wealth of info over there...like Thurnok said.. just 'overwhelmingness'...and some very useful things I have picked up from there

And as for TP becoming part of SMF...the sentiments above ring very true, and of all the forums I have been to,I think TP really is a model of what CAN be...maybe some of the energy here will overflow back to SMF....

Xarcell

I don't think TP is becoming part of SMF?

TP is a SMF modification, not a module. Without SMF, TP would not be possiable, not even on another kind of software. No as flexiable anyways. TP owes alot to SMF.

SMF used to have really good support just like here at TP. But as someone said, they just got swamped and wasn't prepared for it. They stepped it up a notch by writing better documention with the 1.1. Mod's was a killer too, as they created alot of problems, and made people ask for alot of support. We need to come up with a way to deal with that too. I have an really good idea up my sleeve, but just waiting for the right time to bring it out. TP needs to be setup for module plugins first...

That's why it's so important that we write alot of clear cut documention that's easy to a noobie to find. So this doesn't happen to the TP community in the long run...

Xarcell

BTW, I love TP too...

When I first found TP, I was torn between TP and Simple Portal. Then I realized that Bloc actually listens to what people have to say that could make TP better. Instead of having alot of ego and trying to use his ideas only...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The TP community has made TP what it is today, and we have Bloc as the guy to thank for it.

Thanks Bloc!

Thurnok

Bloc, help me out here.  I saw you post somewhere (here or at SMF) about TP becoming part of SMF somewhere down the road.  So either I'm crazy, or I did read something from you regarding that, which is it?   :uglystupid2:

Xarcell - Well, though I posted earlier "I'm glad TP is a module..."  I certainly know it is not a module, and in fact a "mod".  Let's not get into a grammer war here, because I think I can clobber you with that.   :2funny:

IchBin

I don't ever recall Bloc saying that Thurnok. I do recall him saying that he has no such plans to do that.

Thurnok

It's possible I misread it.  I can't find the post right now one way or the other. heh

bloc

Yup, it would be the latter perhaps...I always saw TP as a mod to SMF.

Whether its should be part of the Simple Machines products like the forum is way into the future to decide. There have been already CMS projects started from within the team there, so I am actually going about it from the opposite direction. That is, dependant on SMF or not. :)

alan s

Quote from: Xarcell on September 23, 2006, 01:15:24 AM
BTW, I love TP too...

When I first found TP, I was torn between TP and Simple Portal. Then I realized that Bloc actually listens to what people have to say that could make TP better. Instead of having alto of ego and trying to use his ideas only...

Thanks Bloc! ( and all the other Twp Team )

The way i found tinyportal was seeing the copyright on Maxâââ,¬Å¾Ã,¢'s site . When i first found tinyportal i knew very little about
web coding and design.I specifically remember Ichbin and Bloc helping me out when i had my first few problems and patiently explaining things when i did not understand it.Because Bloc actually listens to peoples suggestions it enables tinyportal to go far because tinyportal has what its users want.

Thanks Bloc

stormlrd

TP is designed to integrate with SMF not the other way around but I do have to say Im glad tp has the support team it does lol because I get a little annoyed with the arrogance Ive have seen at SMF. some are good but some lol well you know what I mean.

Crip

TP is the only SMF "mod" I ever use.. :up:
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

Thurnok

TP is absolutely the best mod SMF has, no question.  But Crip, you don't use any other SMF mods at all?  hehe

I have a few, probably less than most, but a few that I almost think are necessities (or that should have been part of SMF):
- The SMF User Email mod: prevent bots from collecting email addresses, allow members to email other members but never know their email address, etc.
- Custom Profile mod: allow you to add any profile fields you like - great for gaming guild sites (ex: Character Name, Game Server Name, etc.)
- Custom Action mod: Great for simply creating your own custom actions.

I have a few others on some sites (mostly BBC addons), oh, and the new SMF Gallery mod is pretty sweet, Bloc's Gallery notwithstanding, SMF Gallery is a sweet alternative while waiting for TP's own gallery system.  :)

But, by far, TP is the best, most useful, most capable mod ever built for SMF.

stormlrd

You know I use to use other mods like Grudges Ultimate shoutbox but now I only use TP and plan to develop my mods to work with it. The MP3 player is my mod purchased and modified but Ive got future plans for my own

Xarcell

I think the route you took on TP being a mod of SMF is better than making SMF a plugin to a CMS. I really think you started something Bloc...

stormlrd

I agree X, everytime I think about the potential here i rub my hands together lol.