TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 03:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 53
  • Total: 53

[solved] Menu for board and childboard(s)

Started by ianus, December 02, 2006, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianus

Greetings!

What is..
At the moment, IÂÃ,´m online with SMF 1.06 without TP. In the (near) future, I like to use SMF DE with the corresponding TP and actual I have installed SMF RC3 with TP 0.9.6 at my localhost.

What I do..
IÂÃ,´m running a (very) small board to offer Informations about (roleplaying-) games. I offer all readers the possibility to share wisdom in a â€Ã...“parent boardâ€Ã, and use childboards as an almanac. This almanac board should show only the usefull and confirmed informations, without discussions etc.

What I requestâ€Ã,¦
I like to have a menu for the parent and for the corresponding childs.

I can write the blocks with the blockmanager and put some html to show a linklist. No magic, with this amazing TP software.
And I know how to show a single block only at a single board (article, etc).

But I like to have a wider range of boards, a single block is shown in.
In the database (@localhost), I found the entry for â€Ã...“show only atâ€Ã, in the table smf_tp_blocks in the access2 field.
Of course I have tried to put a second number, but this way doesenÂÃ,´t work (of course).

However, the access â€ââ,¬Å" field in the same table is doing (nearly) the same.

So I would like to ask, if there is a plan to offer such a feature?
Alternative, can I chance some part of your code, so that more than one entry in access2 can be used, is read out, â€Ã,¦?

I have seen al least one similar request here at this board, but canÂÃ,´t retrieve it. (Sorry.)
Maybe, something like this, but not exactly:
(Request) Menu Item Permissions
Also, I canÂÃ,´t find something similar in the
Roadmap
Maybe is misunderstand
# Blocks
    * lables or groups for blocks permissions

I hope, I donÂÃ,´t create an impression of impoliteness. I honour your work with high esteem.

Have al lot of fun and successes with everything you do.
ianus

If somebody is inquisitive
Startpage:
http://www.firopolis.de/index.php
Startpage of board:
http://www.firopolis.de/forum/index.php

G6Cad

What you request is more a SMF thing then TinyPortal.All that have to do with boards, childboards is the forum software and not TinyPortal software.
I suggest you copy this post in Simplemachines.org and hope they can spread some light in this for you.

ianus

Grettings!

Thanks for your reply!

I think you got me wrong, maybe my explanation was inaccurate.

What I doââ,¬Â¦
In the TP block manager, I create a new block, in this case a html block similar to this ââ,¬Å"Re: Adding a Second Menu box?ââ,¬Â.
(Only as an example, the content of a block isnÃ,´t my point, but the position.)

The last step, mentioned in How to manage your blocks, allow me to control, if my block is shown only in a single board.

This setting creates a database entry in the table smf_tp_blocks in the access2 field.

What I requestââ,¬Â¦
Now I have this structure (for example):
Gothic
-- Gothic 1
--- Gothic 1 Almanac
--- Gothic 1 NPC
--- Gothic 2 Quest

If I create a block for the Gothic 1 board, I can use the settings mentioned above, to show my Menu only in this board. But I like to show it also while watching the almanac, the NPC board and the Quest board.

At the Moment, I have to create a block for each childboard, to show the same html linklist.

What I request is a an option like:

Show ââ,¬Å"my own blockââ,¬Â only when inside board 1, 14, 15, 25 (for example).

Till this point and in my opinion, itÃ,´s  a request for TP and not for SMF.

Of course, IÃ,´m actually playing around with other solutions, and some of them use the SMF software to make things happen.
My favorite is a php script like
If board is [number] include ââ,¬Å"navigation.htmlââ,¬Â
Elsif board is [other number] include ââ,¬Å"other navigation.htmlââ,¬Â
Similar to Re: Alternating Logo Banners??

But in most cases, I have to change some of the TP and SMF code. With a view on possible updates, I try to avoid this kind of changes.

I must accent, that this is only a polite request. It would suit my needs and hopefully meet the interest of some other users. On the other hand, your work is remarkable outstanding and I donÃ,´t want to cause extra work.

Thanks for your mindfulness.
Have a lot of fun and success with everything you do.
ianus

Well, meanwhile I noticed the release of SMF 1.1 and I think, this causes some work for the TP team. So, no need to hurry up with an answer, if anything.

IchBin

I see your point, and I think its a good suggestion to somehow make a block appear in multiple places like that. We'll have to see what Bloc thinks if he doesn't already have plans for something like this. :)

bloc

I really see the benefit of child boards "inheriting" a particular block. What I plan though is an option to simply add multiple boards. If that is combined with the board+childboard idea, you should be able to accomplish what you seek.

ianus

Greetings!

Your attention is all what I hoped for.
As mentioned above, the TP software is exceeding and the support as well.

So, thanks in advance, in case of the integration of my idea. But mainly, thanks for all your answers!

Have a lot of fun and success with everything you do.
ianus

While reading my post, I noticed my problems with this language (again). I donÃ,´t know how to put into words that I speak about the hole team.