TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 02:26:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 147
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 129
  • Total: 129

Encyclopedia?

Started by ZakRhino, October 15, 2006, 05:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZakRhino

Hi everybody I was searching around the net and find Tinyportal. I been looking for a CMS and it seems like I got it! TP BABY!  :coolsmiley: Looks like you guys are just getting off for TP so I know there is stuff that will be getting updated and add ons. But there one thing I wanted to ask/request not sure which. But I going to be building a website basic on fitness and working out. So an Encyclopedia would be a great idea to be added to the site. Would there be such a add on to TP? Don't know but I can sure request it!  :up:  If not do you know where I can find something that works like an Encyclopedia but can be bridge with TP? Thanks ^_^

akulion

Hi Zak

Welcome to Tiny Portal. Glad you found us and happy to hear you like TP as well :up:

Before you begin anything you should be aware of a few things.

1. Tiny Portal is not a stand alone portal - it is a Modification for Simple Machine Forums systems (one of the best free forum systems in the world currently).

Adding Tiny Portal to your existing SMF will give it a portal functionality. So that is the base requirement: SMF . You can download one for free from the link above.

2. Tiny Portal is still BETA software, so it is being developed but at the same time is stable enough to be used by 10000's of users worldwide. So please keep that in mind as well - that the full stable version of this software has not yet been released - but nothing to worry about, after all we are all using it :D and it works A-OK :up:

Finally for your encyclopedia question.
Currently there is not as such a 'encyclopedia addon' for TP but the power of TP can be seen by its themeing system. Have a look at the documents section, its a board on this very forum, but themed so that it looks that way. So it resembles a wiki :up:

So really it all depends on how much the user is willing to work to make their portal work for them the way they want :)

Additionally we have a large selection of 3rd party add-ons available in our block snippets section to enhance any website!

And last but not least - our support team provides the best support you will get anywhere on the web :D (not to blow our own horn - but its true! lol) :up:

Hope my long speech helped you in some way :)
Aku

ZakRhino

Quote from: akulion on October 15, 2006, 05:32:09 AM
Hi Zak

Welcome to Tiny Portal. Glad you found us and happy to hear you like TP as well :up:

Before you begin anything you should be aware of a few things.

1. Tiny Portal is not a stand alone portal - it is a Modification for Simple Machine Forums systems (one of the best free forum systems in the world currently).

Adding Tiny Portal to your existing SMF will give it a portal functionality. So that is the base requirement: SMF . You can download one for free from the link above.

2. Tiny Portal is still BETA software, so it is being developed but at the same time is stable enough to be used by 10000's of users worldwide. So please keep that in mind as well - that the full stable version of this software has not yet been released - but nothing to worry about, after all we are all using it :D and it works A-OK :up:

Currently there is not as such a 'encyclopedia addon' for TP but the power of TP can be seen by its themeing system. Have a look at the documents section, its a board on this very forum, but themed so that it looks that way. So it resembles a wiki :up:

So really it all depends on how much the user is willing to work to make their portal work for them the way they want :)

Additionally we have a large selection of 3rd party add-ons available in our block snippets section to enhance any website!

And last but not least - our support team provides the best support you will get anywhere on the web :D (not to blow our own horn - but its true! lol) :up:

Hope my long speech helped you in some way :)
Aku

Thank you for the warm welcome and the great help advice your a great admin! and so fast to! *hugs!* ^)^
There one thing I don't understand.
---
Currently there is not as such a 'encyclopedia addon' for TP but the power of TP can be seen by its themeing system. Have a look at the documents section, its a board on this very forum, but themed so that it looks that way. So it resembles a wiki thumbsup!
---
I'm not sure what you mean but this and what is a wiki?

IchBin

If you take a look at this section of our forum you will notice how the theme changes and it looks like a wiki.

http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?board=85.0

If you don't know what a wiki is, its more or less a user contributed encyclopedia. :) You can google it for more info. That theme allows us to add tutorials and documentation and make it look like that.

ZakRhino

Quote from: IchBinâââ,¬Å¾Ã,¢ on October 15, 2006, 06:39:40 AM
If you take a look at this section of our forum you will notice how the theme changes and it looks like a wiki.

http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?board=85.0

If you don't know what a wiki is, its more or less a user contributed encyclopedia. :) You can google it for more info. That theme allows us to add tutorials and documentation and make it look like that.

I understand now! ^_^ I was reading the FAQ and not looking at the layout xD I'm dumb :P So you can add this theming anytime you want to, to a spefic place and this is in SMF or PT?

bloc

Its in SMF. But since TP also use the theme system - and slightly expand it - both will benefit from it.

But what is an online encyclopedia meant to show/function?

G6Cad

Have to add the functionality of TP here ;)

IF you already HAVE a form of encyclopedia on another webspace or page, you can pretty easy imort it to your SMF and TP with use of the article system we have builded in.

We have done similar with blogs, gallerys and guestbooks with iframes or and fully implemented in the code with adding 2 files and a codestring in the article so it knows what to fetch where.

And i to want to welcome you to one of the greatest forums on the internet :)