TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 12:34:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 100
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 111
  • Total: 111

hide left panel, still show empty width

Started by Lafemme, May 12, 2009, 02:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lafemme

SMF version: SMF ver. 1.1.8
TP version: 1.075
Theme name and version: my own designed @ dzinerstudio
Mods installed: 60+ mods  ;D
Related Error messages: none

Hello...

I was wondering.. it does not bother me at all.. just a question to see if it is normal or a bug... if it is.. i will report it ;)

I have disabled my left panel   (see first attached image)
I kept the width, thinking that if the panel was disabled, the width should not matter...

This was the result:  see attached image 2

Then i tried to set the width to 0 (see image 3 ) and that worked  ;D ... (see image 4)

Is this normal? Should a disabled block always show an empty spot in the article section?

This because on the other sections of the site (ex. forum) i did not have that problem...

Thanks!

Zetan

What happens with the default theme Missy? I have seen similar with a custom theme before.
Do you have Firebug? You could "Inspect" that area with Firebug and it might give some indication what is causing the panel area to remain.

This is why links to sites often help ;)

Lafemme

I do not have firebug and have no clue how to use it.. and for the link... it's in the IMG :) But.. here it is...

It also occurs when i choose the default theme... although.. as mentioned before.. as i have so many mods.. you can not speak of a default theme anymore

Zetan

Quote from: MissyNL on May 12, 2009, 03:31:34 PM
I do not have firebug and have no clue how to use it..

Now's a good time to have a go at using it.. ;)

But.. here it is...

Thank you

you can not speak of a default theme anymore

I can and always will.. If I think it might be theme related. But thanks for checking. :)

I would like to "Inspect" the area with the panel width set.

Lafemme

oke... i will have a look at the FF addon :)

QuoteI can and always will.. If I think it might be theme related. But thanks for checking.

oke NP :) Well.. this was pointed out to me here, when i said i used the default theme, but someone said that i had to many mods to speak of a default theme... so .. thats why ;)

QuoteI would like to "Inspect" the area with the panel width set.

Your welcome to do so... if you need more info or even an temp admin account.. let me know ;)

ZarPrime

Missy,

Zetan wants you to set the left panel width back to 185 px so that he can look at it.  Once he's looked at it, you can set it back to zero.

There was a similar bug that I reported over 2 years ago in TP 0.98, though I don't recall what was done to fix it.  The old bug is shown here, but it's closed and the solution is not there --> http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?action=bugtracker;sa=bug201

ZarPrime

Zetan

Okay, I meant.. can you set the panel width, lol.

Feel free to send me a temp admin account and set the site to English.. Because my Dutch is.. well, Not as good as your Engrish :P

Lafemme

oke.... the width is set to 0 ....

I will PM you the admin account....

Zetan

Okay, I can't recreate the problem for some reason.

Currently I have:

• Left Panel / 185px / ON (No blank area displayed on front page).
  • One Left Test Block, currently OFF. When On, it pushes the Right panel out of the theme wrapper boundary. This is probably due to the article content on the home page.

There is also this option here:

• Admin > TinyPortal / Settings and Frontpage / Frontpage tab > Additional panels to display on frontpage: Was set ON.

( Note: for frontpage only, this overrides any panel that has been turned on, but is also overridden by an article's "single page" option. )

Missy, can you set up the panel/frontpage so it's as your 2nd screenshot?

Lafemme

shur...

It was the setting Panel OFF and then the width at 185 .

done it now...

Zetan

Hmmm... I still don't see it.

What browser are you using?

Lafemme

here is the link to the article section, since the frontpage shows it properly... it's only the article section...

The reason why it pushes the Right panel out of the theme wrapper boundary is because in the tp-style.css i have for some blocks a fixed width...

ZarPrime

I don't see it in Google Chrome either.  Missy, what browser are you seeing this in?

ZarPrime

Edit:  Never mind, what version of FF?

Lafemme

Zetan

I think this may be the cause:

Edit each article > Viewing options: / Display leftblocks

When you have turned the left blocks off for each article, let me know what happens.

Lafemme

Zetan

Also check the Category the articles are in, they have options too.

Lafemme

oke.. i have to go now for like 1 hour.. sorry.. will do that when i am back :)

Zetan

I have to go out soon too. I'll go through them before I leave and I'll post back here.

Zetan

I think thats sorted it.. if you hard refresh the pages.

CTRL + F5

Lafemme

ok.. just now checked off the show left blocks at the category settings, since that was the quickest thing... it worked :)  however... i did not enabled the use categorie settings instead option in the article....

will be back in 1 hour

Zetan

I'll be at a movie.. *cough* Star Trekking across the Univerrrrse :D

ZarPrime

Zetan, Star Trek, huh?  Cool.  I can't wait to see it.  I've heard it's very good.  Enjoy. ;D

ZarPrime

Lafemme

ok.. have that that also for the column section and it seems to work fine... but i am wondering... isnt disabling the left panel in the settings tab the priority setting for all the options?

Zetan

There are so many different combinations between article settings, category settings, frontpage settings, block settings, panel settings.. it gets confusing what overrides what. Generally, Articles will often override most options, the Theme settings confuse quite a few people in articles and the frontpage.

If you have one article set with one theme, and another on the same page set to the default site theme, or NONE.. the first article with custom options will often prevail in the battle :P

Lafemme

oh oke.. but i thought that the settings of the panels was the priority option... I thought it has some priority levels... I know that there are alot of options... but i see that a lot of topics are opened because this type of mistakes... setting it ON on page A and Disabling it on page B. Can there not be an warning system build in... that if you want to set an option.. that it tells you that the priority setting has an other option? Or.. maybe just some docu about what overrides what function.... or something like that...

Or is that like asking for a ticket to MARS?  ;D

IchBin

I agree, there should be an order of precedence that is clearly defined.