TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,174
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 152
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 93
  • Total: 94
  • davo88

Board Index Always Shows on Frontpage even when not selected

Started by RyanA, January 11, 2008, 07:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanA

I don't know. I had tried to install it and had troubles with it blocking my access to my members. I uninstalled it-- or so I thought and went on to build the board more and work on my content.

I decided to give TP another try with a TP Compatible Skin and it seemed that when I tried to install TP, it was already there. I mean, I can add blocks and edit.

Update: When I try to install TP it says it already exists on the server.

Update 2: I deleted the file off my server and reinstalled. I will see if it works now.

Update 3: After reinstalling, I changed to a Bloc's Neptune TP Skin. It still is doing the exact same thing. It points to the board forum index regarless of the setting changes.

Ken.

For the themes part:
Don't mix them up... if your forum is SMF only then you must only use themes written for SMF, if your forum is SMF/TP then you must use themes that are TP compatible.

For the TP install part:
Because you have some mess up left over from your other install then you would be best off to do a manual install and make sure as you go that all of the files & edits are entered but not entered twice.
You can find the manual install instructions in the Docs section.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

G6Cad

I think you will have to check all the code strings manually with the help from the modinstructions in the doc section. That will make sure everything is added as it should and then upload a new set of TP files manually (overwrite the old ones) to make sure everything is correct.

Offcourse all of this is with the default SMF core theme set as your forum default.

RyanA

Okay, I will do that. I think I misunderstood the whole TP compatible skins thing. I thought when I brought TP into SMF, I was becoming an SMF/TP board.

Ken.

Stop fiddling around with all those themes.  ;)

Place your forum in the SMF Default... get it right (including installing TP correctly)... then and only then do whatever else you want to do, like themes.
If you want to use TinyPortal do as G6 and I suggested, go to the Docs section and follow the directions for a manual install.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

RyanA

Thanks Ken and all who gave suggestions here. I will try what you guys said and see if I can get it going. Sadly Tiny Portal is becoming a Tiny Nightmare for me. I am not super savy with all the behind the scenes stuff that the manual install will require. I have tried deleting all the files on the server but I still see the TP info showing up in the Admin area.

Ken.

Its easy to do, even for the 'behind the scenes' stuff... just follow the directions carefully and you'll get there in short order and learn some on the way.
If you are going to run/manage a forum you need to know how to do these things so that you can resolve simple things on your own and not have to wait for someone else to tell you what to do next.

RyanA

Well, I appreciate your help. I actually have run forums for three years but I used Invisionfree and then SMFforFree. Now I have SMF hosted via Siteground. It's like learning how to walk again.

Zetan

It's worth the effort. If you still have no luck.. and I do want you to try!
However, PM me tomorrow with link to site, temp admin account and FTP details and I'll try to help.. again, I would like you to have a go for yourself.

I'm not doing anything tonight. So.. have a good crack at it.. We've all been there, myself included.

RyanA

Thanks ZTN,

I don't know if anyone here can help me now. I have completed screwed my SMF forum. I tried to delete all the TP files that were in my public file. I wanted to take off everything from my server and my site and start over fresh.

Yeah, that went brilliantly. I totally froze the forum so that I have absolutely NO access. The error message reads

"Unable to load the 'TPortalBlocks' template."

This makes no sense because I never hit install. I have no idea what to do at this point. I want to rip out my hair. I really do. I sent a support request into Siteground yesterday but I don't know if they will help.

Anyone have any idea of what I can do to restore access the board?