TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 03:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 50
  • Total: 50

Block Collapse issue

Started by Skb, February 06, 2018, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skb

While tinkering with my Blocks setting, I noticed something strange today and want to bring it to the notice of the Dev Team.

By default each Block has a (+) Expanded or (-) Collapsed state with these buttons.
If I collapse a Block by clicking (-) and then go into Settings and check the "Do not allow Block to be collapsed" checkbox, when I go back into forum display, the Block remains collapsed and only the Title header is visible. According to me, once the "Do not allow Block to collapse" option is chosen, the Block should immediately revert to Expanded view thereon.

Hope I am clear.
Regards.

SMF 2.1 RC4 (default theme) / TP 2.1.0

@rjen

If I am not mistaken the browsers store the fact that a block is collapsed in a cookie. Once this cookie is stored in your local machine the block will remain collapsed until you delete the cookies.

I do not think is is possible for your site to delete all local cookies for this once you make the change site-side, it may be possible to have TP ignore the cookie when the "Do not allow Block to be collapsed" is set.
I think the setting only removes the switch button.
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on February 06, 2018, 01:24:29 PM
If I am not mistaken the browsers store the fact that a block is collapsed in a cookie. Once this cookie is stored in your local machine the block will remain collapsed until you delete the cookies.

I do not think is is possible for your site to delete all local cookies for this once you make the change site-side, it may be possible to have TP ignore the cookie when the "Do not allow Block to be collapsed" is set.
I think the setting only removes the switch button.

Correct, it just removes the button, and if someone already has it collapsed then it stays that way.  If you haven't got many blocks and you want to make sure everyone see it, you could create a new block the same type, or with same content, set it so it can't be collapsed. Switch that one on and turn the old one off.  Messy I know, but it should work.

tino

As mentioned by the previous two posters, its stored in the local cache. Other than destroying that and all settings we can't really remove the setting.

lurkalot

Quote from: tino on February 06, 2018, 08:32:36 PM
As mentioned by the previous two posters, its stored in the local cache. Other than destroying that and all settings we can't really remove the setting.

Also it's always been like that for every version I've ever used, so it's not like it's a new problem or anything.  Surprisingly we don't get many people question it.  ;)

tino

Quote from: lurkalot on February 06, 2018, 08:59:21 PM
Quote from: tino on February 06, 2018, 08:32:36 PM

Also it's always been like that for every version I've ever used, so it's not like it's a new problem or anything.  Surprisingly we don't get many people question it.  ;)

It's a rare condition, not many people will enable or disable the collapse option once you've set up your site. It also gets cleared when your cookies clear so some may never notice it.