TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 05:48:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,188
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 149
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 132
  • Total: 132

Your neck of the woods

Started by WSA, July 21, 2006, 04:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WSA

Yesterday, G6 came on to my forum and posted a comment.  One of the regulars on the forum commented, "a 38 year old female from Sweden?????" 

It kind of got me to thinking that within this forum, we must have at least 50 different countries recognized.  I think that is amazing.  With all of the strife, disagreements, and animosity that goes on in the world around us, we as a group can still get together peacefully and discuss our various issues surrounding Tiny Portal.  Not only is the internet a wonderful accomplishment but I think the bulletin board idea itself is a wonderful tool for breaking down walls and learning about other cultures.  Where else can this be done on a daily basis.

So, this brings me to my next point.  Since so many of us live in different places all over the world, I think it would be very interesting for everybody to provide a brief synopsis about their culture and a little about where you live.  I guess that if you live in the United States, maybe some information about your state.

Ok then, I will start this off.

My name is Eric and I live in the United States.  My state of residence is Colorado.  I live on the western portion of the state commonly referred to as the Western Slope.  The Rocky Mountains stretch all the way through the state of Colorado but more along the central area.  Off to the eastern and western sides of the rockies is where most of our population is.

The Eastern side, or the Front Range as it is referred to, of Colorado is more urban as that is where Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo are.  Pretty large cities over all.  Here on the Western Slope, we are more rural as we have a bunch of farmland and ranches.  Most people on the Front Range think we are a bunch of unintelligent hicks over here on the Western Slope but that isn't true.  We just do things differently.

I live in Grand Junction.  It called this because it is where the Colorado River and the Gunnison River meet or junction at.  Both of these rivers are extremely large and hence the term Grand.  We have a population of approximately 50,000 people but it is very spread out due to the amount of farmlands we have.  We grow peaches, grapes, apples, corn, and a bunch of other stuff.  We are also in wine country here due to the amount of grapes we grow.  95% of all Colorado wines comes from our area.

Being on the Western Slope, we are considered to be in the desert.  It gets pretty hot right here and during the summer, it averages around the mid to high 90's with heat waves bringing in 105's a few times a year.  The winters are very mild here and it doesn't snow very much.  Maybe 7 or 8 times in the winter.  All we have to do though is drive 25 minutes away and you can be in the snow up to your belly button.

There are tons of things to do around here.  Fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, 4wheeling, biking, kayaking, river rafting, swimming, skiing/snowboarding, and a plethora of outdoor activities.  There really are more things to do around here in the outdoors than anywhere else I can imagine.  It's really neat.  We live near a ski resort which is about 40 minutes away.  During the winter, you can get a half day lift ticket, ski all morning, then head back down the mountain and still make your 1:00 tee time at the golf course.  I love where I live.

I guess I am rambling but that is a little bit about where I live.

Please share.

G6Cad

Well, i read that question on your site, and he that asked that thought you or some one there played him a joke  :2funny: ( I guess because i have the same position as you there, and by the way, you can remove me from that now when I'm done with your FlashChat :) )

A little about me would be.
Married brunette with 4 children from age 15 month up to 15 years of age, 3 boys and one girl, 4 cats (3 kittens)

I live in Sweden, all the way down on the southeast side, the very bottom so far you can come in this country ,it is called SkÃÆ'Ã,Â¥ne LÃÆ'Ã,¤n or in English (skÃÆ'Ã,Â¥ne state:)
We live in a house 160 m2 all the way down the beach and have a areal of about 3000 m2 from the road behind our house all the way down to the beach and the eastern sea.
The nearest town here is called Ystad, and the nearest biggest (known to most) town is Malmö, about 70km from where i live, and 90km from Copenhagen Denmark if you go by car over the bridge.

This place to me is the greatest place in Sweden, a lot of farming areas here where they grow vete, korn, rÃÆ'Ã,Â¥g and some other things.
Lot of cows, horses, goats, and wild pigs. So the landscape here is quite flat and you can see very far where ever you look.
Ystad have a port where rather big cargo boats come and load up with what the farmers have and a lot of wood from Sweden goes around the world to. There are some boats that goes with passengers only, and they go to Poland, Germany, Denmark and Oslo.

To me this is the reason to live and breathe in my life, the sea gives a lot of strength and the powerful fall storms really make me feel alive.
The summers here are often very hot (For Sweden that is). This summer we have had a really hot time with temp from 20 degrees Celsius up to 36degrees Celsius. This is a place where people from all over Europe comes and have their vacations, the beaches here are very long ( 120km in total from Trelleborg up to Simerishamn)
We have about 9 golf courses here from 9 holes to 18, we have great fishing, but also a lot of hunters are here on the diffrent seasons for hunting everything from birds to wild pigs, deers, and last year even wolves that came to far down in the country here, they keep a very close look at the wolves population here.

The fishing here is a lot of diffrent fishes and fishing styles to, everything from nets, to lures, trolling.
We have, lax, rainbow (implanted every ear in different locations) Catfish, eal, bass, seabass (very big bass), nÃÆ'Ã,¤bbgÃÆ'Ã,¤dda, shark, lake, gÃÆ'Ã,¤dda, and a lot of diffrent flat fishes, crab, shrimp,.....

Well, thats a little from where i live.
Images from the near by here are in my gallery on my homesite. (Österlen)  haven't updated that in a long time, so perhaps this is a good time doing that :)

WSA

Very cool G6.  Thanks.

Anybody else?

Nokonium

My real name is Keith. I am 55 and single again, have three children; boy 24 and girls 21 & 16. I am owned by 2 cats.

Formerly English, but living in Wales for 26 years has cured me of that. I live in a canal bank in Sebastopol, which is between Cwmbran and Pontypool in South Wales. Yes in, I live in a row of split level houses that are built into one of the banks.

Where I live is at the eastern edge of the South Wales coal field and has a lot of remnants of the old mining and iron industries all around. That sounds bad, but it isn't, exploring the area and finding traces of coal mining dating back to the 1600's or even in one place nearby lead mining going back to roman times is absolutely fascinating. There are still large scars like mine spoil and old quarries, but nature has reclaimed a lot and it can take some finding.

InvestmentÃ,  in the area since WW2, like motorways and main trunk roads, the creation of the new town of Cwmbran and major redevelopment like those of the Cardiff Bay area and in Newport is bringing new life and new industry to the area (and me ;) )

I love the area and I'm still working at the same company that I came here to work for.

carnage

My Real name id David Daniel Tyrrell Ward, i am 18 years old. i am 5ft 10" and an medium build, i have blue eyes brown hair.
     My Father is Itallian my Mother English, i have 4 sisters and a brother.
     I live in England, Brighton south coast, but i used to live in Itally with me Dad while he worked there. I live with my Girlfriend in a 2 bed flat, we have a dog called hammer, he is a black labrador.

Shoreham-by-Sea is where i live. It is the largest town in the district of Adur which is made up off Shoreham, Southwick and Felherm. It is located inbetween brighton and worthing and has its own harbour. not many poeple live here 10 thousand or so. Not much in shoreham really, but alot of churches... we have about 8 all within 50 yards of each other plus another 4 or 5 spead out.... lol Has a town centre with a all the assentials, as well as 2 large night clubs... It has a fortress surrounding the harbour entrance, which was used in world war II. Thats about it really

Here are some pics

Hope you like then... they bring out the best in the town.....