TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 07:24:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,178
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 2
  • Guests: 95
  • Total: 97
  • @rjen

Do you want a favicon for your website? There is a simple, easy way!

Started by brianjw, April 13, 2007, 03:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianjw

Have you ever thought about having a favicon? Some might not even know what a favicon is but don't feel bad, its the icon that appears in your Favorites and on the address bar.
Here are some examples...
TinyPortal
Path To Peace
MSN
SimpleMachines
Septaldefects
etc etc

These websites got style but thats not what the topic is about. To get your very own favicon today, follow the information below:
--P.S: Don't copy anyones favicon because it will be obvious, some websites give out favicons but I would suggest make your own or look for a rare icon no one has used before ;)

1. Find an image that starts out as 64x64 pixels and use the generator below to make it 16x16. Although many websites start out 16x16 with their icon and you can too ;)

2. Go to a website I use: http://www.graphicsguru.com/favicon.php . It doesn't matter if the icon is any kind of image file. This generator will allow you to upload it and transform it into the icon type image and if it is bigger than 16x16 pixels it will make it that size. Then upload it to your WEBSITE ROOT (not forum root) and call it favicon.ico

3. Then place the following code right after the <head> tag in your index.template.php. It might also work in a block if you put head tags inside the block.
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico">
---
I hope this helps :)
Brianjw

G6Cad

Why do it the hard way when you can do it simple ?

Just find the image you want (jpg, gif or png)
Resize it to 80x80 and renamde the image to  "favicon.ico" and upload the file to your site root.
Thats it, no code in any theme, it will be picked up and resized from the root automaticly ;)

brianjw

Actually I tried doing it that way and this is what happened.

-Renaming file to favicon.ico: When I typed the image in the address bar directly it showed up as a broken image only because the file type change.

-Also tried: I also tried renaming it to bmp and then renaming it to an icon file, the image worked but didn't show up in any browsers.

That is why I am sharing about a generator. :)
Brianjw

G6Cad

And then i wonder why it works for me on all my sites and on others that have done the same way as i described  ;)

Ianedres

Quote from: G6â„¢ on April 14, 2007, 09:44:40 AMAnd then i wonder why it works for me on all my sites and on others that have done the same way as i described  ;)

Difference in browers...

Also, specifying by way of
<link rel="shortcut icon"

points specifically to your indicated file through HTML, versus whether or not a browser detects the existence of the FAVICON.ICO file and utilizes it.

noveleion

ohhh i keep meaning to post on one of many forums i visit about how to do this thanks guys.

Ianedres

Quote from: Brianjw on April 14, 2007, 08:12:16 PM
Nice favicon Ianedres :)

Thanks. I think that is actually a picture of myself in my other bad habit- motocross.

Been considering working up another one...  just too many irons in the fire right now!

Shadow

I think G6 way is lots easy then your's way.

I do have one but RebelRose put that up for me on my live

IchBin

Quote from: Ianedres on April 14, 2007, 10:02:48 AM
Quote from: G6â„¢ on April 14, 2007, 09:44:40 AMAnd then i wonder why it works for me on all my sites and on others that have done the same way as i described  ;)

Difference in browers...

Once again, Firefox for the win! :D