TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 07:48:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,188
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 183
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 75
  • Total: 75

A Question on Subdomains

Started by zarprime, December 30, 2008, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZarPrime

This really has nothing to do with SMF or TP but I need to ask anybody if they know how I fix this small problem or at least why it's happening. :o.

My Forum is located at http://talesofthehavenexpanse.com/SMF-1/index.php

I recently added a subdomain onto my root that, when entered is supposed to take you to Home/public_html/SMF-1

The actual url is http://forum.talesofthehavenexpanse.com/

Now, here's the quirk.  When I'm logged on as admin at the first link above, and then I paste the //forum.tales ... address into my address bar it takes me to the correct page, the front page of the forum, but it takes me there as a guest, and still shows me logged on as admin.  In other words, as a guest I still see my Admin username online.

I know you can do this by using 2 different browsers (I've done it before while logged in with FF and then opening up IE) but not using the same tab in FF.  The IP address used is the same.

I didn't set up a redirect for the domain, only specified the document root.  Will setting an actual redirect for the subdomain fix this quirk?

Thanks in Advance,

ZarPrime

EDIT:  BTW, in case anybody was wondering, after going to the subdomain address, it I paste the original address at the beginning back in and go there, it still shows me logged in as Admin.

Lesmond

A redirect will work, but you will end up at the talesofthehavenexpanse.com/SMF-1/index.php domain, unless you move your site to the new domain forum talesofthehavenexpanse.com

ZarPrime

Quote from: Lesmondâ,,¢ on December 30, 2008, 07:39:45 PM
A redirect will work, but you will end up at the talesofthehavenexpanse.com/SMF-1/index.php domain, unless you move your site to the new domain forum talesofthehavenexpanse.com

That's fine.  I think that's probably what I need to do, because that way people will still be directed to the same page by using either the domain address or the subdomain address.  I was just confused as to why this was happening because both the first one and the Subdomain are supposed to go to the same page as specified in the document root for the for the sub forum.tales ...

I suppose this might have something to do with sessions or something, but I just thought it was strange. :idiot2:

Thanks Les,

ZP

ZarPrime

Hi Les,

That worked.  Thanks again. :up:

ZarPrime

Lesmond

Your welcome, glad to have helped :)

IchBin

If I understand what you're talking about you can enable "Use subdomain independent cookies" to do this.

ZarPrime

Hi Ich,

I did go ahead and setup the redirect as Les mentioned and it worked well.  What I was trying to sort of setup a url that my users can use that will be a little easier to remember than having to type in the whole .../SMF-1/index.php address when they wanted to check the Forum on a computer not their own.  Everybody on my forum knows that talesofthehavenexpanse.com is the main site, because they all play the game "Tales of the Haven Expanse" but having to remember to add the SMF-1 is a little harder to remember, whereas just putting forum. in front should be easier for everybody to remember.

I'm not even sure what "subdomain independent cookies" is so I'd have to do a little research on that one. :uglystupid2:

ZP