TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 09:44:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,886
  • Latest: Grendor
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,189
  • Total Topics: 21,220
  • Online today: 112
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 41
  • Total: 41

Restore / Merge DB?

Started by kai920, May 20, 2008, 02:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kai920

live server: SMF 1.1.5
test server: SMF 1.1.5 & TP 1.0.5 b1

After I've got TP/SMF set up exactly how I want it, how can I merge new forum posts from the live server into the test server?  Or, if it's easier, to merge TP settings/themes into the live server.

Basically, I don't want to be missing any posts since my forum backup was made.  Is there anything else besides posts that would have changed as well?

Ken.

The basic idea would be to import the bd from your old install to the new one.

However... this is a question and a process that you should read up on at the SMF forum because its not an issue for TP.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

kai920

OK, will try to search SMF boards again. Didn't find much first time around..

So I only need to worry about the SMF side of things?  Once I import the messages my board will be up to date?

Thanks

JPDeni

This is what I have done...

1 -- Install the new versions on a test site -- you've done that
2 -- Tweak the test site -- you've done that
3 -- Copy TP tables from test site
4 -- Copy any files that you have altered on the test site
5 -- Put live site in maintenance mode
6 -- Install new versions of SMF and TP on live site
7 -- Overwrite TP tables on live site with those from step 3
8 -- Upload any of the files that you altered onto the live site from step 4
9 -- Take live site out of maintenance mode

kai920

Thanks for your reply... a few follow up questions / comments below if you will...

Quote from: JPDeni on May 20, 2008, 03:41:17 PM
1 -- Install the new versions on a test site -- you've done that
2 -- Tweak the test site -- you've done that
3 -- Copy TP tables from test site
4 -- Copy any files that you have altered on the test site
5 -- Put live site in maintenance mode
6 -- Install new versions of SMF and TP on live site
7 -- Overwrite TP tables on live site with those from step 3
8 -- Upload any of the files that you altered onto the live site from step 4
9 -- Take live site out of maintenance mode

2- not finished yet 100%, but hopefully soon :)

3- TP tables are the ones with smf_tp prefixes? I currently see 8 tables... articles, blocks, data, dlmanager, modules, settings, shoutbox, and variables.

4, 8- so far I've just been playing with the themes as far as I know. will SMF recognize the theme once I upload the folder and files via FTP? or is there a setting inside a smf table I will need to alter.

4- besides files that _I_ have altered, how about the attachments folder which might have changed since the backup? are there any others files/folders that might have been overlooked? *thinking*

JPDeni

QuoteTP tables are the ones with smf_tp prefixes?
Yes. Those are the ones that will really be changing as you get your tweaking done.

Quotewill SMF recognize the theme once I upload the folder and files via FTP? or is there a setting inside a smf table I will need to alter.
It would probably be a good idea to install your themes while you're in maintenance mode. Then upload any of the files you've changed during your tweaking, if any.

Quotehow about the attachments folder which might have changed since the backup?
I don't think so. But if you've installed any mods other than TP on your test site, install them on your live site.

Basically, your test site is to see how things work and if things work. You might think there's a mod you'd like to use, but when you actually see it in action, it's not that great.