I'm gonna give a little tip to all you fellow admins. A tip I figured out a little while ago! Is your website too slow? Taking too long to load? Do you know why?
Well I got a solution for anyone willing to increase their website speed!
Not only does this improve speeds but it has other benefits of doing this such as...
1)Pinpoint problems areas in content size, composition, and delivery.
2)Compare baselines against established performance norms.
3)Recommend concrete solutions to improve performance (before/after code, SQL query optimization).
4)Little or no impact on your daily operations.
5)Independent expert review of your existing systems.
6)Shows how to increase your usability, boost profits, and slash bandwidth costs.
Here's how you do it.
Put your website at the end of this url... http://www.websiteoptimization.com/cgi-bin/wso/wso.pl?url=
So if your site was tinyportal.co.uk it'll be...http://www.websiteoptimization.com/cgi-bin/wso/wso.pl?url=http://tinyportal.co.uk/
Then it should have a report on the bottom of the page...
- Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
- Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 44 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
- Warning! The total number of images on this page is 40 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
- Congratulations, the total number of external CSS files on this page is 1 . Because external CSS files must be in the HEAD of your HTML document, they must load first before any BODY content displays. Although they are cached, CSS files slow down the initial display of your page.
- Caution. The total size of this page is 85416 bytes, which will load in over 8 seconds on a 56Kbps modem - or 17.22 seconds. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Be sure to provide feedback for pages over 30K by layering your design to display useful content within the first two seconds. Consider optimizing your site with Speed Up Your Site or contacting us about our optimization services.
- Congratulations, the total number of external script files on this page is 2 . External scripts are less reliably cached than CSS files so consider combining scripts into one, or even embedding them into high-traffic pages.
- Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 10851 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.
- Warning! The total size of your images is 43913 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.
- Warning! The total size of your external scripts is 18868 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your scripts for size, combining them, and using compression where appropriate for any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents.
- Warning! The total size of your external CSS is 11784 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your CSS for size by eliminating whitespace, using shorthand notation, and combining multiple CSS files where appropriate.
- Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.
Those are instructions...
Have fun making your sites faster.