TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 187
  • Total: 188
  • illori

Questions before install

Started by jernatety, May 16, 2018, 05:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jernatety

Quote from: tino on May 16, 2018, 08:50:31 PM
I don't think it really matters, if you wanted it to still work if you uninstalled TinyPotal then the SMF responsive.css file would be a good place. I think that's what the core responsive mod adds.

I edited your post as I had put the wrong @media directive which you had quoted.

Ok, I'm going to try it out probably tomorrow when I have time to tinker around a bit. Thanks for your help.

jernatety

I think I just experienced information overload. I installed the mod but quickly uninstalled it. I figured after install there would be an on/off switch so that I could arrange everything off before I turned it on. But it was already on and I couldn't figure out getting everything arranged or where I wanted to put everything. Is there a default off switch?

lurkalot

Quote from: jernatety on May 16, 2018, 11:15:24 PM
I think I just experienced information overload. I installed the mod but quickly uninstalled it. I figured after install there would be an on/off switch so that I could arrange everything off before I turned it on. But it was already on and I couldn't figure out getting everything arranged or where I wanted to put everything. Is there a default off switch?

There isn't a single switch as such to turn off the portal, but everything you see has permissions, or setting to manipulate as required.  What you saw was it installed in its default state, letting you know it's there and working.

Without knowing exactly what you want out of the portal it's a bit tricky to advise.  Each block for example has its own permissions, so if you uncheck them only you will see the block while you play around with it.  Panels will only show if they contain a visible block or blocks. 

The portal is extremely powerful, and can do so much, but can be a bit overwhelming at the same time, hence why I mentioned trying these things on a test site first.  Perhaps give us some idea what you're trying to do with it, and we'll try and guide you through.  Please don't give up straight away without giving it a good go.  ;)

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on May 17, 2018, 07:01:34 AM
Quote from: jernatety on May 16, 2018, 11:15:24 PM

There isn't a single switch as such to turn off the portal, but everything you see has permissions, or setting to manipulate as required.  What you saw was it installed in its default state, letting you know it's there and working.

Without knowing exactly what you want out of the portal it's a bit tricky to advise.  Each block for example has its own permissions, so if you uncheck them only you will see the block while you play around with it.  Panels will only show if they contain a visible block or blocks. 

The portal is extremely powerful, and can do so much, but can be a bit overwhelming at the same time, hence why I mentioned trying these things on a test site first.  Perhaps give us some idea what you're trying to do with it, and we'll try and guide you through.  Please don't give up straight away without giving it a good go.  ;)

Ultimately, right now I want to put up advertisements for hockey tournaments and clinics. I will make the images in photoshop. I went to your gardening site and like the 4 block advertisements across the top that you have. I also switched from your custom theme to the default theme and everything looked really smooth on my mobile phone. The most important interest is that everything works smoothly and responsive on mobile. All of your ads scale correctly when viewed on the mobile and back on the computer.

lurkalot

Ok, so are you going to require a home page made up of blocks and panels, or just go straight to forum index and add a block across the top or bottom etc.

The code I used in that row of ads is just some code I grabbed off the web, and added it to a Upper html/javascript block. I'm still looking for a better one to be honest, but it works ok for my needs.

Theme, I only have one theme on there, it's the Default them Curve with the responsive curve mod installed.   

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on May 17, 2018, 06:32:16 PM
Ok, so are you going to require a home page made up of blocks and panels, or just go straight to forum index and add a block across the top or bottom etc.

The code I used in that row of ads is just some code I grabbed off the web, and added it to a Upper html/javascript block. I'm still looking for a better one to be honest, but it works ok for my needs.

Theme, I only have one theme on there, it's the Default them Curve with the responsive curve mod installed.

Ok, so what do I need to do immediately after TP is successfully installed? I know I have to go to permissions but where are they in the TP admin interface so that the front page doesn't show except for me until it's ready?

lurkalot

Not sure that exact scenario is possible.  But there might be a way you could do similar with a bit of guesswork.

You'll be able to set up upper, lower, and side blocks as desired without anyone else seeing them.  Content for the middle of page will need adding afterwards to complete the front page.

First step after install would be,  TP Admin > Frontpage > What to display on frontpage:  Set this to "Go directly to forum index".

Second.  TP Admin > Blocks.  Turn off all active blocks by clicking the green squares seen on that page. All you and your members will see is the forum. 

Then you can add blocks as desired, albeit only top, upper, lower, bottom, and left and right blocks can be used while the "Go directly to forum index" Each block you add has it's own permissions, so you need to uncheck them all so only you as admin can see them.

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on May 17, 2018, 08:33:59 PM
Not sure that exact scenario is possible.  But there might be a way you could do similar with a bit of guesswork.

You'll be able to set up upper, lower, and side blocks as desired without anyone else seeing them.  Content for the middle of page will need adding afterwards to complete the front page.

First step after install would be,  TP Admin > Frontpage > What to display on frontpage:  Set this to "Go directly to forum index".

Second.  TP Admin > Blocks.  Turn off all active blocks by clicking the green squares seen on that page. All you and your members will see is the forum. 

Then you can add blocks as desired, albeit only top, upper, lower, bottom, and left and right blocks can be used while the "Go directly to forum index" Each block you add has it's own permissions, so you need to uncheck them all so only you as admin can see them.

What if I put the forum in maintenance mode? Do the install and make the modifications at night and get everything squared away. Is that possible?

tino

You can put it in maintenance mode then make all your changes yes.

jernatety

Quote from: tino on May 17, 2018, 09:41:10 PM
You can put it in maintenance mode then make all your changes yes.

Thank you Mr. Tino. I really want to be able to leverage using this portal feature. Looks like it'll do everything I can think of and do it properly.