TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:11:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,158
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 91
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 89
  • Total: 90
  • @rjen

Question in reagrd of permissions Downloadportal

Started by sangham.net, April 15, 2013, 06:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sangham.net

Link to my forum: sangham dot net
SMF version: SMF ver. 2.0.4
TP version: TP ver. 1.0
Default Forum Language: english
Theme name and version: small layout modifications based core
Browser Name and Version: firefox 18.0.2 (just upload activated while searching for version)
Mods installed: Tagging System2.4.3, Menu Editor Lite    1.0.5, Quick Translation 0.8, TinyPortal 1.107, SEO Sitemap 2.2.1, Language Drop Down 1.5.3, KeyCAPTCHA for SMF 2.4, New Hooks 0.2, Login Security 1.0.2.2
Related Error messages: no Error

Generally it's possible to set user permissions in regard of accessibility of sections/categories. At the same time it is possible to make settings on SMF about the accessibility of TP-download setting permission.

It seems that the SMF permissions override the permissions set in the categories/sections. Is it possible to elude this situation?

Just to bring a practical sample. I have created sections/categories which should be only accessable for admins. At the same time some groups have the permission to create new folder (sections/categories) and to maintain them. As tested, it is possible to access those folders and files also if one is in a different group (not admin), in this specific case, in a group that has permission to maintain TP-download section.

Thanks for hints and tips.

Truly! So strive to be one of them. Or like to get a random Sutta?

If you like to get involved in helping developing an "Virtual monastery" to make the internet a little more accessible for Monks, Nuns and Ascetics, please feel heartily invited to join our bilingual community at sangham.net

IchBin

Sorry Johann, but I don't understand exactly what you are saying.

If you give someone permission to manage downloads, this is essentially giving them Admin permissions for TP downloads. There really is no other way to do it. I'm not sure I see what SMF permissions has to do with it? Maybe you can explain more.

sangham.net

Thank for the further question and time IchBin, I try to give it in a certain sample:

I created a download categories/sections just and set the permission to view it and to use it for no kind of members:

Allowed membergroups: not chosen any
I would assume that the access would be now exclusively for Admins

But... when I use am account that does not have Admin membership, but the permission to enter the TPdownload section, it is possible to download and view the categories as well as to download the file.

So it seems that the permission set in the membership overwrites the permission set in the categories/sections of the TPdownload-section.

QuoteIf you give someone permission to manage downloads, this is essentially giving them Admin permissions for TP downloads.
That's what I assumed. I thought of making a storage place for forum admins, but that would be not possible if other groups or members have permission to manage TP downloads.

So its more that the permissions of TP and SMF are parallel except Admin and not hierarchic as I "hoped".

Are my assuings correct? Any creative idea, how to store documents for Admins and leave the management of downloads open for other groups as well?

If you like to get involved in helping developing an "Virtual monastery" to make the internet a little more accessible for Monks, Nuns and Ascetics, please feel heartily invited to join our bilingual community at sangham.net

IchBin

I can't think of any way to do what you are asking. Since TP's manage download permission basically gives them admin permissions in downloads. Personally I wouldn't give out manage permissions to users unless you have to.

sangham.net

Dear IchBin,

I guess I understand the structure now.
Thank you very much.