ok here are a few tips for bigger board which seem to be working for me!!
I got quite a few newbies with 0 post count active on my forums in the past day by some radical changes.Step 1: Set restrictions!
In my case I restricted all newbies to a post count of 20 after which their state changes. As a newbie they cannot:
- post links in the links dirctory (take away permissions on mod settings)
- post pics in the gallery (take away permissions on mod settings)
- send PMs (enable advanced post count based permissions and then unclick PM sending for newbies!)
- play any games in the arcade ( take away permissions on mod settings)
- add files or do downloads (will implement this soon)Step 2: Information!
Get and install the PM upon Registration mod by Jaybertho from SMF.
- Put an attractive and detailed intro PM in there. Explaining the restrictions and how to have them lifted.
Additionally get the "Post count warning mod" as well from SMF and install it - so that a big red bar appears at the top telling the member that they need to have 20 posts before restrictions are lifted.Step 3: Be Active!
Now that you have the above in place, it is likely that newbies will start making intro posts and other posts, so be active to greet them nicely and help them out so that they feel welcomed! And whatever happens dont let your 'forum bullies' or 'people with an attitude' get rude or sarcastic with the newbies!
Thats all really! I implemented these changes yesterday and in one day 4 newbies have become active Reppercutions
There can be 2 occurances:
A) The new members just leave
B) The new members decide to post to have the limits lifted.
For me the choice was simple - I would much rather see an ACTIVE board as opposed to a GHOST TOWN with 5000 members!
So the tradeof is well worth its price!
PS: this strategy is not recommended for smaller or private family/friends board!
To see my restrictions in action go to http://path-to-peace.net/forum
and login as: