TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:10:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 166
  • Total: 167
  • @rjen

Wow... gotta love webmin.

Started by IchBin, August 17, 2006, 07:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IchBin

Ok, so I've been running a linux web/email server at my office for about a year and a half now. Its a very basic linux setup. Everything is done via the command line on a distro called www.tinysofa.org. There's No desktop whatsoever. I really like learning all the stuff about linux that way.

Today I decided to give webmin a shot. Man is that program AWESOME!! I can now access my linux machine from anywhere on the internet and configure everything from a web interface. Firewall, FTP, Apache, Hardware, EVERYTHING! I'm so excited how easy this thing was to use that I just had to share my little moment of joy. I always knew about webmin but I didn't want to use it until I learned to use the command line in linux. What a time saver! :)

G6Cad

That sound like a lot of fun :)
Now you dont have to hurry to work every time that little machine needs attention :)

iowamf

Although the web-based tools are nice, sysadmins really need to know what's going on under the hood.

Punching buttons on a GUI that mucks around on a bunch of root system files still scares me though - tough to back out changes when you don't know what the GUI changed.

You were wise to learn the cmd line tools first ... now you know what it's doing.