TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 310
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 262
  • Total: 262

Article Titles Do Not Correctly Post to Facebook

Started by timothy082003, October 01, 2015, 06:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timothy082003

Hey there folks,

I run an online news organization, which is located at http://mvohio.net, using SMF 2.0.11 and TinyPortal 1.111.

Because we are a local news organization, covering breaking news frequently, it is fairly important that we get our articles to social media quickly.

When I post a link on Facebook to a TinyPortal article, a small preview box pops up with a title and(if needed) a picture. In theory, it shouldhave the title of the article inside it, but instead, it only has the name of the website. If the link is clicked on, it does go to the correct article, so the link is correct, but for some reason the title isn't.

This does not happen when I post links to forum topics. The title appears correctly with them.

I hope this makes sense. I've attached some images to better explain the problem. If this isn't easily fixable, don't worry about it, it's more of an annoyance than anything else because all I have to do is copy and paste the title, the main problem being when not-so-tech-savvy people try to post these links, it doesn't work, but if it is fixable, I would appreciate any help you could provide.

This is what it looks like when I post a link:

This is what it should looklike when I post a link:

Ken.

In your articles are you using the "Query title:"? If not try that to see if it gets you to the desired effect.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

illori

Quote from: Ken. on October 01, 2015, 07:05:53 PM
In your articles are you using the "Query title:"? If not try that to see if it gets you to the desired effect.

i dont think that will have an effect. that just gives you a "vanity" URL rather then using a number.

Ken.

Using the query title gives me this result on facebook, is this what you are seeing Timothy?
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

timothy082003

Quote from: Ken. on October 01, 2015, 07:19:11 PM
Using the query title gives me this result on facebook, is this what you are seeing Timothy?

Tried it, unfortunately nothing changed. Still seeing the website name.

Ken.

Timothy, we are working on this, it may take a little time so just hang on. :)

timothy082003

Quote from: Ken. on October 01, 2015, 11:09:59 PM
Timothy, we are working on this, it may take a little time so just hang on. :)

Thank you, for all that you folks do.

No hurry. I've been managing fine without it for a long time now.

:)

lurkalot

Hi Timothy.

Has this problem been there from the start, or did it just stop working at some point.

Can you confirm if you're just posting the actual link shown in your browser address bar when viewing an article?

I tried one of my own links and it shows the title on my facebook page.

Tried one of yours and it doesn't. Looks like it's adding something to the url that facebook doesn't like.

What mods do you have installed?

Still looking into this atm.  ;)

illori

can you provide us the link you are trying to share?

can you try running that page on https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug ?

i think some changes you have made are causing this issue as others running TP are not getting the same results you are.

timothy082003

QuoteHas this problem been there from the start, or did it just stop working at some point.

It was there when we started publishing articles in May. I'm not sure if the problem was there prior to that because we didn't really use the article system.

Can you confirm if you're just posting the actual link shown in your browser address bar when viewing an article?

Yes.

For example, this link came directly from the address bar:

http://mvohio.net/index.php?page=421

I don't see anything wrong with the link at all.

I tried one of my own links and it shows the title on my facebook page.

Tried one of yours and it doesn't. Looks like it's adding something to the url that facebook doesn't like.

What mods do you have installed?

1.    ENotify    2.0.2    
2.    Ultimate Profile    0.9.1    
3.    Simple Audio Video Embedder    3.1    
4.    Enhanced PM System    3.0
5.    Responsive Curve    1.0 Beta 5    
6.    Menu Editor Lite    1.0.5    
7.    Ad Managment    3.2    
8.    TinyPortal    1.111    
9.    SMF 2.0.11 Update    1.0    
10.    Say Thanks    1.3.3    

I don't see anything that would make changes to URLs, but maybe you can spot something that I can't.

I should note that this forum has been around since 2004 (we only started publishing articles in May), and although I've did a number of fresh file installs sice then (the last of which was in early June of this year), I have had mods installed in years past which made URL changes.