TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:55:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 304
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 309
  • Total: 309

OPTIMUS Mod And TinyPortal

Started by jernatety, June 28, 2019, 12:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on June 29, 2019, 09:31:10 AM
Quick action from Bugo! It seems the bbc article issue is fixed! Php article still leaves something to be desired.

I am wondering though if it would not be more appropriate to include an article description field in the articles that could be used when posting to social media.
Now the Optimus mod gets challenged with interpreting different article types... just a thought though...

I format my HTML articles like this, (top down):

Article Subject = Social media title
Quick Blurb at the top of my article body = Social media description
Image for my article = Social media image

Then I begin my article detail

Everything shows up perfectly as designed on both Twitter and FB. LOVE IT!

lurkalot

Since Bugo added the fixes for TP in Optimus 2.2.1 The sharing bbc articles now seems to work with facebook, and no longer showing the bbcode which is great.  HTML articles are showing code, not sure if that's just the way my articles are layed out, but it doesn't look right to me.  If I have a adsense code for example at the top of the article it prints part of the code on facebook.

Twitter, well I'm at a loss.  Do you have to set this up in some way to make it scrape the images.  What's all this twitter card stuff, and how do I use it? Much reading up required methinks. Edit: Twitter seems to be picking everything up now, strange, but great..  O0

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on June 29, 2019, 10:50:47 AM
Since Bugo added the fixes for TP in Optimus 2.2.1 The sharing bbc articles now seems to work with facebook, and no longer showing the bbcode which is great.  HTML articles are showing code, not sure if that's just the way my articles are layed out, but it doesn't look right to me.  If I have a adsense code for example at the top of the article it prints part of the code on facebook.

Twitter, well I'm at a loss.  Do you have to set this up in some way to make it scrape the images.  What's all this twitter card stuff, and how do I use it? Much reading up required methinks.

Twitter card validator is the same thing as the FB developer tool scraper. This is it, you can test your links before posting https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator

I don't put any ads into my articles. So I don't see any of that. Here's my newest article.
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?page=12

lurkalot

Quote from: jernatety on June 29, 2019, 10:58:27 AM

Twitter card validator is the same thing as the FB developer tool scraper. This is it, you can test your links before posting https://cards-dev.twitter.com/validator

I don't put any ads into my articles. So I don't see any of that. Here's my newest article.
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?page=12

Ross, Thanks, I've just been using the validator actually, seems some images don't show unless I validate a couple of times, maybe my server is to slow for them to pick up, and it just ignores them. I don't get any errors.

By the way, I see you don't use the Query Titles for your articles, so just shows a page number in the url, any particular reason for not using it?

jernatety

Yeh, that's why I use the validator and FB scraper. Sometimes I post them and no image comes up. So I delete the posts, run the link through the validator until it pulls the pic then re-post. I mostly validate everything now before I post to social media.

Optimus was giving a "Query string" error when query titles. No problem I just add "Follow" + URL to my robots.txt file so the bots crawl them and they don't get 301's.

bloc

Regarding PHP articles..I wager its harder to add meta tags/extract keywords etc. from PHP-based articles since the final result isn't reachable until it actually renders.

HTML is already "saved" so the mod can read it, and BBC can be tailored towards it too..but PHP can quite complex. Especially if its also renders the head tag(is that possible anymore in TP? From what I have picked up here and there its not) , ultimately making it very hard for the mod to find patterns of code to use.

It would proabably be better if TP supplied containers for meta/OG tags itself, adding it to the the headers dynamically, than letting a SMF based mod do it. But that may not be something planned in the near future so I guess its a moot point. :)

@rjen

Thats Exactly my point, but you said it better... ;)
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

lurkalot

Quote from: bloc on June 29, 2019, 07:17:33 PM

It would proabably be better if TP supplied containers for meta/OG tags itself, adding it to the the headers dynamically, than letting a SMF based mod do it. But that may not be something planned in the near future so I guess its a moot point. :)

Hi bloc, great to see you posting, long time no hear.  ;)

meta/OG tags stuff incorporated into TP has been mentioned recently, but not sure any of us understand it enough, or have the time atm to do anything with it.

Personally I don't have any php articles, or not ones I'd want to share, they just get used to run scripts more than anything.  I should imagine the majority of articles will be written in either bbc, or html.  The Optimus mod does seem to cope with those pretty well, just have to give some thought where you place stuff.