TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 209
  • Total: 210
  • illori

upgrading from SMF 2.0rc3 to 2.014 TinyPortal 1.0 beta 5-1 to the latest

Started by Blue Steel, July 12, 2017, 08:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Steel

hi i'm hoping someone can help me here
I run the website http://www.codingmonkeys.com
i'm going to try to update from SMF 2.0rc3 to 2.014 TinyPortal 1.0 beta 5-1 to the latest

i've been away from the sceene for so long i've forgotten how.. lol
can someone please walk me through it all step by step

codingmonkeys.com is an old web community and i'd hate to loose things and stuff it up while attempting to update everything. this is very serous and i really need help and would appreciate any given

lurkalot

I believe as you are still running a rc version of SMF you'll have to use the large upgrade package from their downloads page.  This will leave you with no mods installed any way.  Then once you've checked all is working you can install the latest version of TP 1.3

You'll also need to make sure any mods and themes you have are compatible with SMF 2.0.14  I would concentrate on getting SMF updated first, and then install mods after.

Blue Steel

Does this mean that i'll loost all of my content, eg: the forums content / attachments etc.

and my tp stuff eg: gallery, games, downloads areas and content

illori

no, you are just updating/upgrading the files not restarting the database.

Blue Steel

So i have to
full site and db backup
uninstall the SMF packs/addonbs first
then large update smf
then re-apply the addons (including tp)
then update tp

all the time having my fingeers crossed
is this correct ?

lurkalot

Do a full backup of everything just in case.  Switch to default theme, uninstall mods if poss.  Then do a large upgrade of SMF.

Install mods.  Go straight in with new version of TP 1,3

Blue Steel

updates done, broke quite a lot of my personal content blocks. now i'll have to try to woirk out what broke, why , and how to fix

lurkalot

Quote from: Blue Steel on July 13, 2017, 01:14:54 PM
updates done, broke quite a lot of my personal content blocks. now i'll have to try to woirk out what broke, why , and how to fix

As you were running TP 1.0 beta 5 I'm not too surprised some of the blocks are having issues tbh. Some of your blocks containing your own code might need to be adapted to use $smcFunc, as this was introduced in TP 1.0 RC3 for compatibility with SMF2. 

It will pay you to turn off the blocks in turn until things come back to normal. then perhaps recreate the block that are giving you problems.