TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 109
  • Total: 109

Need your opinions [request]

Started by akulion, May 02, 2006, 02:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akulion

hi

currently my site is hosted on dreamhost on a shared hosting package

However I am going to upgrade to a VPS soon and liked this sites deals: hosting.com

Can some of the experts on hosting give me a small evaluation of their package and if its good or not? >> click here to see their Linux VPS Hosting Package

Also if someone could recommend a truly good VPS host I would really appretiate it. Thanks :)

PS: My price range is $80/month for a VPs so when recommending please keep that in mind :D

Xarcell

I currently use dreamhost as well. For almost 4 years now. Haven't used dedicated server yet though. My sites haven't quite got that busy. I have several sites and I'm styill under 1GB bandwidth, and I get 2048G a month.

Are you happy with Dreamhost?

akulion

oh yes im very happy with dreamhost
the only down side is that they dont have VPs and their dedicated servers are way beyond what i can afford

So today I got their monthly newsletter and actually they have partnered up with hosting.com so thats why im even considering transferring there as a first option - cos if they are even slightly as good as dreamhost, ill have it made :D

Plus dreamhost newsletter had a promotion code which means I can get 1 month free VPS :D if i sign up lol

So im searching faster

redone

Talk to Christian at Montecarlohosting - www.montecarlohosting.net

Last I heard he was offering a promo of a month's free VPS too. He knows a fair bit about SMF too and is always willing to help.

Other than that I have used PowerVPS before and they are very good and have good prices.

www.powervps.com

:)

akulion

Thanks for the links :D  powervps looks good

45 bucks a month is not bad at all :D

akulion

hi

im still searching and boy o boy i must have visited easily 200+ webhost sites lol

I found a really cheap yet 'good sounding' VPS server and if anyone can tell me if this is a good deal or not i would really appretiate it...

IPower Deal Click To View

I think for just 27 bucks that much stuff sure sounds good - but then i wonder if its not one of those "dodgy" companies...so am gona check up some reviews

akulion

ok after reading these i think i better stay away from them

The "Free" content and promotion tools are farmed out to 3rd parties and iPowerWeb offers NO support for them. Not even in their knowledgebase. In addition the promotion pack is a limited two-week trial. These issues are not mentioned on their site. Tech support appears to use auto-responders with form letters. Often the response is out of context to the original question. They will not answer my request for a username and password for domain administration, even though I own the domain (registrant). I requested additional services 3 days ago and have not received a reply (additional domain).

further on : here

gerrymo

Quote from: akulion on May 05, 2006, 08:06:49 PM
Thanks for the links :D  powervps looks good

45 bucks a month is not bad at all :D

Agreed. I posted another thread along similar lines. Looks like PowerVPS may be the way I'll go. What would be the better of the 2 cPanel or Plesk?

akulion

i was put off by power VPS when I sent a "pre sales" question to them and recieved an answer after 3 days :p

nevermore

I switched to Blue Host from Total Choice Hosting and have not regretted it a bit. www.bluehost.com lets me run several websites under the same account. They just ugraded the storage and bandwidth a few weeks and sent me an email letting me know it was free to me since I already had an account there. The control panel has TONS of options.

Best of all, they have real live people available for tech support !!

IchBin

Quote from: nevermore on May 15, 2006, 10:21:42 PM
Best of all, they have real live people available for tech support !!

As apposed to no people at all? lol

nevermore

Some hosting solutions seem to have no people lol. The few times I have had to call them, there was a little or no wait to talk to a person who actually knew what they were doing. It was a treat.

akulion

Bluehost dosent seem to have VPS

but thanks either ways :D

redone

Getting hold of a real person these days especially one over the phone is almost impossible. Especially given the very low prices people expect to pay for hosting.

Besides, when was the last time you called a web host with a technical question and got a half way reasonable intelligent answer? lol ;)

nite0859

I'm with dreamhost too. Are you going over your daily 1Hr of CPU usage or something ?

Are you doing PHP 5.1.4 ? Do you have APC installed ? I started up a quick help thread over at my forum for those who are new to dreamhost... heck, I'm still new to dreamhost.

akulion

Are you going over your daily 1Hr of CPU usage or something

nope not yet but i can see that the sites gona need more "power" behind it soon cos the list of active members keep increasing weekly. From a mere 5 users onlyne at once now it reaches a maximum of 20 + online at a time and on weekends it can reach up to 30 users on at one time which is really getting me scared that what if the site starts become un-accesible then everyone will leave!!

Plus not to mention that there are 3 domains on my site .com .org and .net so each has its loads of visitors.
Currently .com is housed on a seperate server altogether and .org is pending launch.

But I am figuring once its launched and .com moved to the same server it could really cause some serious downtime

So I am planning ahead and getting ready to shift over :D

oh yea i forgot to mention: for those who may be looking for a "shared host" definately go with Dreamhost.com it is truly a dream for shared server account users! It not only gives a HUGE amount of space but also mega bandwidth and its only 8 bucks a month! No database restrictions on amount of databases ur allowed to have and u can host many domains as well!

gerrymo

Quote from: akulion on May 15, 2006, 09:34:18 PM
i was put off by power VPS when I sent a "pre sales" question to them and recieved an answer after 3 days :p

I did that and had my reply in 5 minutes. I've only been with them a week, but I'm absolutely happy that I took this option. My sites are flying now. OK, I did have to bug support a few times, but that could say more about my experience with this level of stuff, than it says about them.

superQ

If you haven't switched yet I wish you would contact these guys. See what they can do for you. Most exellent service. very quick response time. People on the other end. I have no idea of the charge for vps it is a custom package.Watch the video on the page. Open in FF ;)

http://ewebzone.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=23&Itemid=61

nite0859

do you have apc accelerator installed ?

superQ

nite0859

sorry... akulion ... he and i are on dreamhost right now. if he's having issues with a php accelerator installed then i'll eventually have them too..

superQ

akulion

Quote from: nite0859 on May 24, 2006, 05:06:06 AM
sorry... akulion ... he and i are on dreamhost right now. if he's having issues with a php accelerator installed then i'll eventually have them too..

hi - i have no clue what that is lol

but i dont seem to be having any issues at all the only issue I can think of is when there are too many people online suddenly at one time the database will return an error - but im guessing thats simply cos of the load limits or something, but that goes away in a matter of literally minutes as soon as some people are gone.

nite0859

Quote from: akulion on May 24, 2006, 09:59:10 PM
Quote from: nite0859 on May 24, 2006, 05:06:06 AM

hi - i have no clue what that is lol

but i dont seem to be having any issues at all the only issue I can think of is when there are too many people online suddenly at one time the database will return an error - but im guessing thats simply cos of the load limits or something, but that goes away in a matter of literally minutes as soon as some people are gone.

Well, you might want to take a look at my site. I have a child board dedicated to unofficial dreamhost support. In that child board, I spell out the procedure that I took to get my site up and running with dreamhost. You may or may not find it useful. If anything, you could try it out. If things start going wrong with your forum, then all you need to do is delete the .htaccess file that I have put up. On my forum, after I delete .htaccess, then the default dreamhost configuration kicks in immediately. And until the .htaccess file is created, the default dreamhost configuration remains in effect. So, in other words, you could do a silent experiment to see if my installation guide improves the load on your forum.

I'm curious, that's all. I've done it so many times on my own forum, I'm interested in whether or not it actually IS an improvement, you know?

Regards.