TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 149
  • Total: 150
  • tino

Questions before install

Started by jernatety, May 16, 2018, 05:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jernatety

Hello. A few questions before/if I install.

I currently have a site which as a zillion child boards and leveraging a portal would make it look a lot cleaner for guests, as opposed to seeing all of the child boards since they can't collapse categories. I do plan on adding a zillion more childboards. I actually have to because it's a sports board and there's a lot of leagues and teams.

youthhockeyinfo.com

I'm running SMF 2.0.15 and have the following 34 mods installed.

1.External and NoFollow All Links   1.0.0     
2.Board Icons   1.0     
3.Contact Page   4.0     
4.Drop Guest Email Requirement In Posting   1.0.1     
5.SMF Trader System   1.7     
6.SMF Classifieds   4.0.13 
7.SMF Post Prefix   2.0.3     
8.Hide ip stuff for users   1.05     
9.Child_boards_below_topics   1.0   
10.Tidy Child Boards   2.0     
11.AdSense Mod   1.0     
12.ENotify   3.0     
13.Separate Replies and Views Column   1.9.2 
14.Yet Another Global Announcements Mod   2.7.5 
15.SMF Articles   3.0.3a   
16.More Spiders   1.2     
17.Linked Words   1.0     
18.Add Facebook Like, Tweet, and Google +1   1.0.3a     
19.404 on Missing Topics/Boards   2.1     
20.Share This Topic   4.1.2     
21.Yarex 2 smiley set   2.0.0.1     
22.EzPortal   3.5.2   
23.Recent Topics On Board Index   1.03     
24.SMF 2.0.15 Update   1.0     
25.Optimus   1.9.7.3     
26.Effectively Remove SMF Logo   2.0     
27.PDF Tag   1.2     
28.SMF Likes Plus   1.5     
29.BBCode with style   1.5.1   
30.Reply Button In Every Post   1.0     
31.Advanced Recent Posts   1.1.1     
32.Ohara YouTube Embed   1.2.9     
33.reCAPTCHA for SMF   1.0.0     
34.Responsive Curve

I'd like to know a few things, if they're possible if I install tinyportal.

1.Will Tinyportal work with everything I have, mod-wise?
2.Are tiny portal pages SEO friendly? I was testing out ezportal and found that theirs are not.
3.Are the blocks responsive or do they work with the SMF responsive curve mod? Again, the last portal I was using was not.
4.I have a mod called SMF classifieds, is there a block for that, if not is it easy to make, if it can be made?
5. Are there any known conflicts with tinyportal which might cause issues for me if I install it?

Hopefully everything will be ok, because I need to install something that works the way I need it to.

lurkalot

Hi, and welcome to TP support.

One thing that jumps out to me straight away, you can't have two portals installed at the same time, I see EzPortal in your mods list.

The other mods I haven't tested it with all those myself, but haven't had any reports from anyone else saying there's a problem. 

The built in blocks are responsive, and custom blocks are responsive depending what content you have in them. That said, for the portal to be have responsively you have to be using a responsive theme, or default theme with the responsive curve mod installed.

SEO friendly, I doubt it to be honest.

I would strongly advise you try these things on a test site first, and see what works best for you.

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on May 16, 2018, 06:22:42 PM
Hi, and welcome to TP support.

One thing that jumps out to me straight away, you can't have two portals installed at the same time, I see EzPortal in your mods list.

The other mods I haven't tested it with all those myself, but haven't had any reports from anyone else saying there's a problem. 

The built in blocks are responsive, and custom blocks are responsive depending what content you have in them. That said, for the portal to be have responsively you have to be using a responsive theme, or default theme with the responsive curve mod installed.

SEO friendly, I doubt it to be honest.

I would strongly advise you try these things on a test site first, and see what works best for you.

Sorry about that! Forgot to delete it. There is no ezportal installed anymore. With respect to the responsive actions. If I have a 790x60 image banner in a block, you're saying that will scale down on a mobile, it won't stay the same size? With respect to seo friendly. Is the word tinyportal in the page links when a new page is generated?  Can you post an example of the tinyportal page url? I do use only the default theme with the responsive curve. Will the portal elements, (If I have the portal front page enabled) show up on the mobile? Or does that get ignored on the mobile?

Thank you

lurkalot

Would that be a adsense banner?  If yes then that shouldn't be a problem.  Other images or banners manually added to a custom block (By custom I mean any empty html, bbc, or php block) should resize fine as long as it's wrapped in the right code. 

A page url example, something like thee on one of my sites.  You won't see Tinyportal mentioned in the links.  ;)

https://guitaristguild.com/index.php?page=Ampeg-SVX-2
https://guitaristguild.com/index.php?page=amplitube-4
https://guitaristguild.com/index.php?page=links

tino

Quote from: jernatety on May 16, 2018, 06:54:33 PM

Sorry about that! Forgot to delete it. There is no ezportal installed anymore. With respect to the responsive actions. If I have a 790x60 image banner in a block, you're saying that will scale down on a mobile, it won't stay the same size?

If the banner is in a container and you have @media it will resize, tinyportal won't alter that logic.

With respect to seo friendly. Is the word tinyportal in the page links when a new page is generated?  Can you post an example of the tinyportal page url?

https://siteurl/index.php?page=3, is a example for a article.

https://siteurl/index.php?action=tpmod;dl is for downloads.

SEO friendly isn't really that much of a thing, but its a pretty standard and simple url used.

I do use only the default theme with the responsive curve. Will the portal elements, (If I have the portal front page enabled) show up on the mobile? Or does that get ignored on the mobile?

Thank you

TinyPortal is responsive on all devices and doesn't effect the responsiveness of the forum. This includes the frontpage and any other section.

lurkalot

Quote from: tino on May 16, 2018, 08:08:26 PM

https://siteurl/index.php?page=3, is a example for a article.

Just to point out to jernatety.  The examples I gave above are also articles, but used the optional Query title, which I tend to use.

So this article could either be

With Query title,    https://guitaristguild.com/index.php?page=Ampeg-SVX-2

Without Query title, https://guitaristguild.com/index.php?page=25

jernatety

Thank you for replies, both answered what I am asking, so thanks to both of you.

So I guess my only response would be in regard to the responsive images. I do know that adsense now has responsive ads so that's great, no issues there. At some point I will want to include adsense on my site.

For now though it would be photoshop made ads but they'll have the same size restrictions as adsense ads. If I wanted to sell a space to somebody looking to advertise hockey clinics for instance. If I gave them a leaderboard 728x90 spot on top center. That looks fine on a website on a computer but on a mobile device will it scale down and fit or do I have to add responsive CSS to one of the css files and then use html tags to call the responsive CSS to the image that's in the top center block?

tino

Quote from: jernatety on May 16, 2018, 08:33:28 PM
If I gave them a leaderboard 728x90 spot on top center. That looks fine on a website on a computer but on a mobile device will it scale down and fit or do I have to add responsive CSS to one of the css files and then use html tags to call the responsive CSS to the image that's in the top center block?

You will need to add css as it wouldn't scale.

<style>
.leaderboard { width: 728px; height: 90px; }
@media(max-width: 750px) { .leaderboard { width: 364px; height: 45px; } }
</style>

Something like that would work.

jernatety

Quote from: tino on May 16, 2018, 08:42:34 PM
Quote from: jernatety on May 16, 2018, 08:33:28 PM
If I gave them a leaderboard 728x90 spot on top center. That looks fine on a website on a computer but on a mobile device will it scale down and fit or do I have to add responsive CSS to one of the css files and then use html tags to call the responsive CSS to the image that's in the top center block?

You will need to add css as it wouldn't scale.

<style>
.leaderboard { width: 728px; height: 90px; }
@media(max-width: 750px) { .leaderboard { width: 364px; height: 45px; } }
</style>

Something like that would work.

Ok sounds good. Would the css get added to the SMF index.css or one of the tinyportal css files?

tino

I don't think it really matters, if you wanted it to still work if you uninstalled TinyPotal then the SMF responsive.css file would be a good place. I think that's what the core responsive mod adds.

I edited your post as I had put the wrong @media directive which you had quoted.