TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 150
  • Total: 150

TinyPortal 1.6.2: error with TPassimilate.php file in SMF errors log

Started by smartmouse, March 15, 2019, 09:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smartmouse

5.4 is the version of PHP on my hosting.

tino

@rjen

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

@rjen

Confirmed. With that mod activated TP works fine for admins, but is breaks the site for all other users..

This is not something we can easily fix: $forum_version is the key that TinyPortal uses to switch between 2.0 and 2.1 logic. And it is in the TinyPortal code in many different locations, needed to make TP suitable for both 2.0 and 2.1 users.

At this time I would recommend to deactivate the Hide SMF Version mod.
TinyPortal will work fine then.

I personally doubt the usefulness of hiding the SMF version, but if you feel strongly about that, you cannot use TinyPortal...

smartmouse

Yes, this do the trick and solved both the problems!
Thank you very much guys for your support!

Quote from: @rjen on March 15, 2019, 11:58:34 AM
I personally doubt the usefulness of hiding the SMF version
Isn't a good practice for security reasons?

@rjen

In the support thread for that MOD I find this quote from the mod author...

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=214077.msg1367001#msg1367001
QuoteA lot is gone over in the "Rant" section in the readme.

You shouldn't need to hide your SMF version. In fact, it isn't really helpful at all.

A lot of people are under the impression that hiding the SMF version will protect them from hacking. It won't. Most attacks just try every possible vulnerability and see what sticks. Heck, often you will get attacks that are for software you don't even use. Of course, some people are so convinced wrongly they won't believe that and want to do it anyway.

The common method for hiding the version involves removing the version data. This also breaks the notices for SMF in the admin area. Basically, you won't get an alert if there is an important update. What this mod does is makes it so that the version is only hidden for non-admin users, which mean that update notices will still work properly.

So, do you need this mod? NO.
Is removing the version helpful in any way? Not really.
Why did I make the mod? To give those convinced they must hide the version a safe way to do so that doesn't break functionality.