TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:05:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 256
  • Total: 256

Newbie Error? Unwanted Registration Requirement on HOME page

Started by Wichtlmex, April 29, 2019, 08:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wichtlmex

Hi,
I started with SMF and then found TP... the solution of my dreams!
And this forum is a big help to me.

My trouble:
In www.ecotec2000.de/forum/index.php I did not expect (neither want) to require guest registering for HOME (the Frontpage), only for the Forum.
Seems I can't find the right screws to adjust to avoid registering for the HOME frontpage.
There are so many adjustments and I cant find any to disable it.

In "General Settings I select "After Redirect after startup" -> "Redirect to Frontpage"
and in "Frontpage Settings" -> "What to display on frontpage: Only Articles"

What could make the Registering Message appear anyway?
What am I missing?

Regards
Michael

SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

lurkalot

Hi Michael, and welcome to TinyPortal support.

Just a couple of quick questions.

1: Did you get the login screen before you installed TinyPortal?
2: What content have you got on the Home page?

@rjen

Is seems you have setup your forum not accessible for guests. That is not a TP setting but in your main forum settings...

If you make your site viewable for guests and make the boards NOT visible for guests you should get what you are looking for
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

Wichtlmex

Quote from: lurkalot on April 29, 2019, 08:13:11 PM
1: Did you get the login screen before you installed TinyPortal?
2: What content have you got on the Home page?

1. -> Really I don't remember.... meybe I should reinstall everything if this answer is important
2. -> Sorry, I might not understand some basics or namings of the Portal.... After installing, I got the HOME page and the FORUM page appearing in the main menu. I did not put anything on that home page.
After logging in, I can see my articles on the home screen.

Regards
Michael
SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

Wichtlmex

Quote from: @rjen on April 29, 2019, 09:14:43 PM
Is seems you have setup your forum not accessible for guests. That is not a TP setting but in your main forum settings...

If you make your site viewable for guests and make the boards NOT visible for guests you should get what you are looking for
Ah, okay.... I will try to follow up. I had the idea, the FORUM access restrictions would only be active when selecting FORUM from the main menu. So it seems the overall main access is defined in the SMT access setings?

Thanks for helping
Michael
SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

@rjen

Admin > configuration > forum settings > Allow guests to view the forum

Wichtlmex

Quote from: @rjen on April 30, 2019, 06:20:15 AM
Admin > configuration > forum settings > Allow guests to view the forum

Great! Now the guests can see the articles on the FrontPage! But they also can see the forum categories, boards and messages.
If I try to avoid that ("Admin"-"Forum"-"- Boards and Categories"-"Permissions", I get the message:

Note: You cannot edit this permission profile as it is a predefined profile included within the forum software by default. If you wish to change the permissions of this profile you must first create a duplicate profile.

Where can I find the option to restrict the forum access for guests?
I guess I will restart to read the TP documentation.... seems there are many settings which can be set but are overwritten by other ones ... My idea was to completely hide the forum from guests or only show them the category titles.
Regards
Michael
SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

@rjen

QuoteWhere can I find the option to restrict the forum access for guests?
I guess I will restart to read the TP documentation.... seems there are many settings which can be set but are overwritten by other ones ... My idea was to completely hide the forum from guests or only show them the category titles.
Regards
Michael

That is really standard SMF settings and nothing to do with TinyPortal.

To hide the boards for guests you need to Admin > Forum > Boards, and in each board go to Modify Boards and remove the tickbox to allow guests see  the board..

Only showing category titles when there are no viewable boards is not possible with standard SMF I think...

Wichtlmex

Hi rjen:
"To hide the boards for guests you need to Admin > Forum > Boards, and in each board go to Modify Boards and remove the tickbox to allow guests see  the board.."
I cannot see this option.
Anyway...thanks for helping. I was not clear about how far SMT is integrated into TP or vice versa. I will follow up then in the SMT forum.

PD.: I would like to mark my question as "solved"...where can I find this option?

Regards
Michael
SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

lurkalot

Quote from: Wichtlmex on May 01, 2019, 12:13:05 PM

"To hide the boards for guests you need to Admin > Forum > Boards, and in each board go to Modify Boards and remove the tickbox to allow guests see  the board.."
I cannot see this option.

It's right there under modify, look for,

Allowed Groups:
Groups allowed to access this board.

You should have tick boxes for all your groups, just tick the ones you want to give access to, and untick the guests one.

Quote from: Wichtlmex on May 01, 2019, 12:13:05 PM

PD.: I would like to mark my question as "solved"...where can I find this option?

I'll do that for you.  ;)