TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 262
  • Total: 262

Modules, do they work?

Started by tino, May 20, 2018, 05:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

Quote from: wildenborch on May 26, 2018, 09:29:23 AM
Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for this article. Yes this was very usefull!
Maybe some of this functionanlity can be used in the article system?

Fred
Yes, the TP Articles system would work for something like the reviews modules because the basics are more or less the same. The two main differences are in the index page that is included in the reviews module and the posting procedure that a member would use in the reviews module as compared to the TP Articles system. The reviews module can make it a bit easier for an admin to keep his/her members focused on precisely where they wanted to content to be posted, as well as the type (categories) of content. Both those functions can be worked out with TP Articles, it's just that the reviews module has a lot of the nuts and bolts already in place, so you would only need create a few categories and post a link to the reviews index page and then you're good to go.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Ken.

Used the Wayback Machine to look up Our FamilyForum and found this reviews category page from June 14 2008.
It's kind of plain in this image because each of the categories had nice images to match, but those got left out in the WB Machine rendering. Example: ... the movies category had a big tub of popcorn.  :)

It's showing a single category page for my install of the reviews module, the list eventually took two pages IIRC.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

wildenborch

Yes that's an interesting module! I see the possibilities for my brothers website!

bloc

After I left the project the code have been re-written so the original modules won't work anymore.

Other than that, it should be quite possible to make new ones based on existing: TP Downloads for example. But again, it might be too much changed for it to act as a example.

Seeing as SMF 2.1 never got off the ground(its been 8-10 years now) and SMF 2.0 is still the standard, it would make sense to base a complete rewrite of TP for SMF 2. But I doubt anyone is interested in picking it up :) although it would be best to actually get among others, modules to work properly.