TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:09:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

A chat/shout box in a ( i guess a center block)

Started by 2bz2p, December 19, 2007, 02:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2bz2p

Hi Yall,

I have read so much about flash chat and what not, though I havent exactly found what I am looking for. I am trying to find a chat/shout box that could be put into a center block and the members could use it to chat while playing games or whatever.

Now I did try using the shout box within TP though A) its scrolls and B) the layout and spacing doesnt look right.

So I thought I would turn to chat programs but I havent found one that does the trick. Trick being wide but not tall and make 4-5 lines of comments and scroll bars...

Any thoughts?
thanks
2b

EDIT: The other thing is I would perfer it not see the front page, this way the other center blocks can be used as well for jazzing up the front page

Smoky

I use the shout box on both my "pages" and it is a good thing.. but i can see your point and it is easily fixed so that you could do that.. just play around with the settings to get it where you want it (forum only), and you can stop the scrolling of the shout box.. some of my members thinks the scrolling is rather annoying, and if you are on a slow connection speed, it can get way confusing.. also, remember to give it permissions.. if you don't want guests to view it.. best i can suggest.. i was looking for a chat program too but havent found what i want, and the tp one, well it makes me and my members happy so ?? anyone else??  ;)

G6Cad

If you are using TP you can always implement the flash chat (and other chat softwares) in articles using iframes. We have several posts about how to use iframes with in articles. Search for "flashchat iframe" and you will see the posts made.

A sligt warning though, Flash chat users have been hacked through the flash chat software, so if you get hacket, it will probably be through the flaschat and not SMF or TP.

2bz2p

@ Smokey

I didnt think over messing with the settings of the TP shout box. does any one know where the shout box code exist

@G6

Thank you for the suggestion and I read most of the posts about the flash chat. the major drawback is that I cannot shrink it and put it at the top of the page inbetween the menu and actual page (at least I didnt see it used that way) My other issue know that i now would be the hack issue not the my site is on the worlds most wanted list

So I think what I may do is go and mess around with the shoutbox code and see if I can get it to look right and then embed it on to the arcade section.

but thank you for the thoughts and ofcourse anything else yall could think of will help
thanks again
2b

Smoky

QuoteI didnt think over messing with the settings of the TP shout box. does any one know where the shout box code exist

just look at the block menu in the tp area, you could put it how ever you wish.. really easy.. and from what i know, when the new version of tp comes out, then next one will have smilies added to it.. you could make it so that just admin see it or all of the members on your site.. the one thing i do know, make sure you do not give guests permission to shout.. if you get stuck, fell free to look at my site.. you can still see the shout box,  but I have blocked all guest shouts.. you have to be a member  :D

click my sig and it will take you there..   ;)

2bz2p

I found it

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=412

The great thing is with this you can place it on any page you want, I personally have it on my arcade page and it is not on any other page. just about exactly what i was looking for though they didnt have it then.

Thanks
2b