TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:03:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,881
  • Latest: fords8
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,096
  • Total Topics: 21,211
  • Online today: 71
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 38
  • Total: 38

Hobbies. what's yours?

Started by lurkalot, September 30, 2018, 06:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

I guess as you here a lot of your time is used up, either working or running your websites.  But what do you do to unwind when taking some time out.

Do you have any hobbies?

Photography. I've always has a interest in photography as long as I can remember. Started with 35mm film, and moved on to digital not long after they first came out. The trouble with anything digital is it's obsolete the day after you buy it, new stuff coming out all the time, much like phones or computer stuff.  As much as I'd like to keep up to date with the latest kit, I really don't have deep enough pockets to do that.  So my camera gear is getting a bit old now.

Music.   Learning to play electric guitar is my other hobby, though I've a long way to go before you'll hear anything from me that resembles music. :D  Like photography music gear is something else you need deep pockets for, you can spend thousands just on one guitar. 

I started on a budget, a few hundred seems more sensible to me.  So far I have two Epiphone Les Paul's A Harley Benton Les Paul copy, and one Cheap Stratocaster copy.  If I ever learn to play one of these I might think about getting something better if the funds (and the Missus)allow.

You?   

Ken.

For me it's wood-turning.
Most any kinds of hobbies that we may go into will require a few basic tools and from that base we expand out to wherever our skills and ambition will take us. Cost is usually a factor that will dictate how we fast and how far we go and it is most certainly the case for me, so when a way to more quickly dry or cure my wood-turning stock was needed I set out to build a wood drying kiln, instead of spending hundreds or even thousands on a commercial unit.

This quote from a post on my site gives some detail on that project.  ^-^
https://www.ourfamilyforum.org/FamilyForum/index.php?topic=4358.0
Quote from: Ken on October 18, 2017, 05:18:24 PM
Do a Google search for 'kiln' and you will find all types of setups for drying stuff like wood, this one is simple and best of all it's free.   O0

When I got into wood turning one of the first things I started doing was staying on the look out for free wood and that meant collecting trees that had fallen or been cut down for some reason. It didn't take long to amass a rather large pile of wood that needed to be cut into turning stock and one of the steps in that process was drying the wood. There are a multitude of ways to dry the turning stock and this is one of those ways.

So... first you find a (free) refrigerator that someone needs to get rid of, you load it up and bring it home, you give it a good cleaning and then you drill a bunch of 2.5 inch holes in it. After that you install a small computer case fan at the bottom of this free fridge, place a small light bulb in the bottom of the unit and then you load in some wood that needs to be dried and fire it up.   

There are a few things that it still needs, like a light in the bottom, but other than that it's working. 

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

@rjen

Whenever I have the time I take my motorcycle out for a ride.

Started  riding 10 years ago, finding that the congested roads in the Netherlands make commuting a time-consuming activity. Now I ride the bike pretty much every day to work at my clients throughout the country.

Started in 2008 looking for a touring bike with 'sporty' genes and found that in the Yamaha FJR. At the moment I am riding number 3...

Number 1...

Number 2...

And number 3...

The motorcycling also brought me to SMF in 2011, when I took on the hobby to be webmaster for the dutch FJR-club and we moved from a Schnitz forum to SMF....

Checkout www.fjr-club.nl...

Besides I can find joy in my family: three teen-age boys are quite a hobby too. Also I spent quite a few years sailing, be it that we sold the boat years ago, it is still a hobby whenever I have time to rent one for a day or so...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

lurkalot

Quote from: Ken. on October 01, 2018, 01:24:50 PM

For me it's wood-turning.

Nice hobby Ken, I've seen your posts over at OFF about the wood turning, you guys can do some pretty amazing stuff with a piece of wood.  Haven't tried this since my school days, but didn't take to it.

Metal work, and turning steel was more my thing and still is, though I don't have access to a lathe atm.  Wouldn't mid giving the wood turning another go now, it's truly fascinating.

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on October 01, 2018, 07:34:50 PM
Whenever I have the time I take my motorcycle out for a ride.

> >

Besides I can find joy in my family: three teen-age boys are quite a hobby too. Also I spent quite a few years sailing, be it that we sold the boat years ago, it is still a hobby whenever I have time to rent one for a day or so...

Quite a contrast there @rjen, Motorcycling and Sailing are opposite ends of the scale.  Lovely bikes by the way.  8) When I was 16 I had a Yamaha FS1E moped , used to go to school on it, lol.  That said they are worth a fortune now, shame I gave it away.  :doh:

Used to ride Motocross bikes when I was younger, that's about as far as I went with it, to many nutters cars on the roads for me to be on a bike. 

VladTepes

Motorcycling

I too am a mad keen motorcyclist,. In fact that's what my SMF forum is all about
www.gsx1400owners.org/forum

My bike:

Four Wheel Driving (specifically Land Rovers)
My 1995 Land Rover Defender 130

Firearms

I shoot clay targets every month and go hunting (pigs, rabbits, feral dogs and cats. In fact anything feral) when the opportunity arises which is too infrequently.

"Armed Bushwalking"

Watches
I like watches, particularly Seikos.
Most of my watches are automatics (or manual winding)as I love the precision of intricate machinery. It lies somewhere at the intersection of engineering, art and magic.
Some of my watches:  http://landyvlad.net/piwigo/index.php?/category/17

History
I studied Ancient History at Uni and am very interested in that.
Another particular interest is in our maritime history specifically our Colonial Navy.
See www.gayundah.info

Other stuff
Building websites, Computers, Building computers, Photography & Action Cams, Reading, Writing, and all sorts of other things I can't afford.

Ken.

Love all the motorcycles!!!  O0
Through the years I've had many of them including a lot of different brands and for a while even built a few in my spare time. My last one was a 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade... sadly I'm no longer able to ride.

For my current wood-turning hobby this is my 'heavy iron'.  ^-^
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

wildenborch

My hobbies are:

Softball: I used to play men's softball and my position was pitcher. Since a few years I'm a coach/team manager of a team playing in the highest league in the Netherlands and occasionally I play in the lower leagues. 

My cats. I have 4 Norwegian forest cats: Alexx♀, Jonas♂, Nilson♂ & Mollie♀.
These casts are so friendly to each other and to us.

Nilson

Listening to Music. 80's 70's and one of my favourite bands is The Beautiful South but also Thomas Dolby, Supertramp, Depeche Mode, The Smiths & Morrissey, Joe Jackson and since I visited the USA in 2015 a rock band called Red Wanting Blue.
But I also like DooWop and Rock & Roll

Further I like to read trhillers and to watch Netflix (Fargo, Orphan Black, etc etc).

I'm a Citroen Dyane owner. I don't have any technical skills but I simply like to ride in this car.

With my first Dyane in the French Alps (1985)

I'm a webmaster of several SMF / Tinyportal websites:
Dyane Vereniging Nederland     dyane.nl

My brothers website pmachinery.com (this is a TP website with more than 2500 articles!)

Syringomyelie Patiënten Vereniging which is a patient society website for patients with this disease: Syringomyelia (sih-ring-go-my-E-lee-uh) is the development of a fluid-filled cyst (syrinx) within your spinal cord. Over time, the cyst may enlarge, damaging your spinal cord and causing pain, weakness and stiffness, among other symptoms.

Rodebaert.com which is more or less a test website

and my blog website: vanveen-nl.com with personal stories, photos etc. etc.

tino

My hobbies are.....

My Classic Mini, which turned from a 'few' issues in to a full restoration. So welding, engine strip down, brake / suspension change and overall and anything else in between. She might be back on the road one day.

Electronics although that is mainly headphone amplifier circuits which I design, build and assemble, very similar to my 'day' job as a Design Engineer really.

Embedded Software mainly on AVR and PIC uControllers doing a wide range of 'things', I also have a played with facial recognition alogrithms which was part of my Masters Final Year Project at uni.

Server maintenance and upkeep where I maintain a few websites mainly running Debian although some are on CentOS or RedHat, none have cPanel though as I prefer the command line for everything.

I guess gaming which I do alot of on the XBox One mainly BF5, GTAV, Fortnite, Gears of War or games of that ilk.

When I get a chance to I enjoy carpentry, would love to own a lathe like my Grandad did and I have most of his old tools from when he was a joiner so when I move to a bigger place I will no doubt ensure I have a proper workshop for all my mechanical and joiner/carpentry tools.

Finally I have my daily car which I take on track days which is a MX5 and a bike SV650S which doesn't get used enough but when I do get the chance goes on track days or just through the countryside on.

That's about it really ignoring the books I read and music I listen to daily.

Skb

Quite a few. Let me see;

Wildlife observation and photography. To do that I need to travel about 1200 kms (one way) into the deep Indian forests. haven't been doing it for a few years now, but was a regular from 1992-2005

Shooting Pistols as a sport. I haven't competed since 2002 but am into administration (VP with my State Association) and sometimes coach. Our Municipal Corporation is developing an armed security squad and so far all of their batches have been trained by me.

Poetry & Music I read a lot of Urdu poetry and sometimes write. This also extends into musical renditions of the same.

Biochemistry I'm a diabetic and have been associated with Diabetes Forums for a long time now. This also got me interested in Health as a general subject and I have a Certificate in Nutrition from Berkeley (UCLA)

SMF 2.1 RC4 (default theme) / TP 2.1.0

bigguy

I have done a lot of these. I used to ride a motorcycle all the time. It was a 1979 honda cb 650 special edition. This is the only pic I could find that was so close to what I had. 58 000 orig km on the bike. Man she was a beast:
http://www.2040-motos.com/honda/cb/1979-honda-cb-447315/
I was into computers for a long time, still am really.(just my own) It used to be a hobby but now everyone around here is on cells or tablets there is not much call for what I do with desktops and o/s's.
I have done a bit of shooting but just with friends. I had a rifle. .22 squibman I think it was called. 15 shot clip, choke on the barrel, wood stock. It was a nice rifle.
Done a bit of mechanical work and welding, along with some contracting and concrete work.

.....I don't think I have any hobbies anymore....website work but after all this time I still have no time to learn what I want to about php and all that. I love all the bike pics posted. I wish I had not sold mine. My dad was into woodworking and refinishing old furniture. We have a lot of his pieces here in the house.

Seems I'm a bit of a boring person now after reading what I just posted and what I used to do.

lurkalot

Quote from: bigguy on January 03, 2019, 02:02:39 AM

Seems I'm a bit of a boring person now after reading what I just posted and what I used to do.

I feel the same tbh. Now at a certain age where my muscles and joints won't let me do stuff like I used to.  Though I'd still jump on a motocross bike given the chance. 

My brother an his wife although older than me both still ride bikes, they both have Harley's, and a Honda Firestorm each, though he's just sold his one.  He does have an old BSA B31 trials bike though which gets an outing on the occasional weekend.  I'm quite envious of that one. ;)

Photography I was really into a few years back has taken a back seat, it's far to expensive to keep up now, and my gear is old. I still run the forum I put up for it back then but rarely post on it nowadays.

I do enjoy gardening though, when the weather is nice, so roll on the summer.  ;)

VladTepes

Added a hobby (the last thing I needed to do - bought a Mavic Pro drone)

It survived this, somehow:

https://youtu.be/wcWNMeweNFU

bigguy

@ lurkalot: Your old camera gear is probably still very useful. A lot of photographers still use the old equipment cause they say it gives a certain quality to the picture. Hold on to that stuff man. ;)

@ Vlad: I could get into flying a drone. I have a small helicopter here I used to play around with. THe range is not to good though. Lol, why would ya fly it into a tree, lol.

Galley

Quote from: bigguy on March 01, 2019, 01:42:51 AM@ lurkalot: Your trusted weight loss shakes and old camera gear is probably still very useful. A lot of photographers still use the old equipment cause they say it gives a certain quality to the picture. Hold on to that stuff man. ;)

@ Vlad: I could get into flying a drone. I have a small helicopter here I used to play around with. THe range is not to good though. Lol, why would ya fly it into a tree, lol.

Drones are super fun. Thinking of getting into that hobby myself too. I flew my brother-in-law's drones over the last weekend and had a blast. Not literally though, both drones are fine. haha