TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 168
  • Total: 168

Non-Admins Only See List of Articles on Front Page

Started by Suz, September 20, 2017, 05:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suz

Hello! I suspect this will be an easy fix and I'm just missing the very obvious.

I'm running SMF 2.0.14 with TP 1.3. I have several themes installed, SMF Gallery Pro, FloatBBC, Enhanced DropDown, and I edited the php page on Articles to remove the social media buttons from the articles.

My problem is that I can't seem to turn on the functionality for Articles to view on the frontpage for everyone.  I did manage to find in TP/Settings/Frontpage/What To Display on Frontpage that setting it for "Forum-posts and articles - sorted on date" allows the admin to see the articles like a blog roll, but apparently the admin is the only one who can see them that way and everyone else is seeing them as lists.

Also relevant is that I want my users to be able to create Articles and that functionality isn't there for them. This has got to be a permissions thing, but I can't figure out where.

Is there some way for me to enable those blocks to scroll the articles instead of a list of the articles for my users, and to allow my users to create articles?

Thanks for your trouble!

lurkalot

When you say you,"edited the php page on Articles to remove the social media buttons from the articles" You mean you actually edited the code?  You can turn these on and off per article.

The permissions problem, might be the fact that you have those articles in a certain category, and guests, regular members etc can't see those categories.  Edit the category and change the settings for, Membergroups that can see this category:

If you want members to be able to submit articles, the go to Admin > Members > Permissions and choose the group you wish to change the settings for,, You should see the following permissions,

Can submit HTML articles 
Can submit BBC articles

Suz

Quote from: lurkalot on September 20, 2017, 06:48:38 PM
When you say you,"edited the php page on Articles to remove the social media buttons from the articles" You mean you actually edited the code?  You can turn these on and off per article.

Yeah, I went into the php page and looked for them and removed them. I tried to get rid of the entire div class they were in but that was no love so I just removed the links and all. It worked, it doesn't exist anymore, which works for us.

The permissions problem, might be the fact that you have those articles in a certain category, and guests, regular members etc can't see those categories.  Edit the category and change the settings for, Membergroups that can see this category:

If you want members to be able to submit articles, the go to Admin > Members > Permissions and choose the group you wish to change the settings for,, You should see the following permissions,

Can submit HTML articles 
Can submit BBC articles

*nods* At first I thought that was it but I just this morning created a new membergroup and made a point of going in there and making sure that they were all selected to be able to view. Besides, if they weren't able to view it would they be able to even see the lists?

This is a screenshot of the TP perms.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/31afbf603781963

Suz

Geez, I just realized I didnt mean for them to be able to manage articles.

Suz

I FOUND IT! I found it! 

You did it again. It was the categories. :D  TANK EWE!

Suz

Well, they are seeing MOST of the articles. I have on category that is still displaying as a list. 

And I still can't seem to get my users access to write articles.  I'll continue working on it. It's got to be a permissions thing that I've missed.

lurkalot

Quote from: Suz on September 20, 2017, 07:18:51 PM

And I still can't seem to get my users access to write articles.  I'll continue working on it. It's got to be a permissions thing that I've missed.

You mean they can't see a link to submit articles from ether Tinyportal in main nav menu, or User block, assuming you have that turned on?

Suz

The links to submit an article returned in the user block, but not in the main TP menu pull down. 

Also, and this is new, when the non-admin users click on the TP menu it takes them to a TP log in screen with the menu in a block on the left with only "TP Module" in it and a TP Admin block with the log in.  Logging in then puts them on the same page with the same blocks but the TP Admin block is empty.  And that's it.

Suz

I think it's a theme issue.  I need to walk away from the monitor now. :D