TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 95
  • Total: 95

Single Article in Block does not show on Frontpanel, Title is showin

Started by Wichtlmex, May 29, 2019, 09:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wichtlmex

Hi,
fortunately I am getting closer to some basic knowledge, but again some inexplainable happens:
I try to show a block with an article inside.
The block type = Single Article

The article inside is this one:
http://www.ecotec2000.de/forum/index.php?page=coro-novedades

But on the HOME page you can only see the title of that block "Single Article Block Test - no article only title shows up!" (language = Emglish) but not the article.

It took me a few hours already trying things but I could not find any problem in the settings.

Refards
Michael
SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

@rjen

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

Wichtlmex

Hmmm... theer are several articles showing up under five different categories. But the one you show, is not the article I linked in my post.
There is an article which is showing up as an article quite well (category "enCanto info", article "proximas fechas de ensayo"), but the article does not show inside a block assigned to the front panel. The block looks fine in the editor, but on the "frontpanel only"-frontpage only the title is appearing "Single Article Block Test - no article only title shows up!" not the contents.
SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

@rjen

As I guest I guess I cannot see the block you are working with, hence I cannot help you...

@rjen

Hmm, you whole layout looks funky tbh... any chance you can give me admin access to that test site, so I can check the settings?

Wichtlmex

Hi @rjen: I sent the access data by PM.
Meanwhile I will not do any changes,
SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3

@rjen

Ok, I had a look in the site and managed to fix it.
I also managed to reproduce it in my test site using 2.0.15...

It looks like you stumbled across a bug that was never reported before  O0

Problem: creating a new block with a single article in the frontpanel, some settings are not initialized, causing the articlenot to show in the block.

Workaround: create the block in another panel first, then move it to the front panel...

WE'll log this to be fixed in a next release...

What did I do:
Checked out some settings on blocks and articles, and to be honest found nothing really wrong. What I did notice was that somehow the article in question did not have an author set (it stated author ID '0') that is something I have not seen before. Did you manually set it to 0?

Then I moved the block to a side panel to test: block moved, then it was not showing at all, because there are no page assignments (not needed when creating a front page block), I then edited the block to show on all pages and it showed up fine! I then moved the block back to the front panel and the block is fine now...

Note: I noticed you set your frontpage to show 'Frontpanel only'. Given your other question about showing all articles I changed it to 'Only Articles': the frontpage now shows the frontpanel first, then all articles...

@rjen

By the way: you are on TP 1.6.2 still, recommend to update to 1.6.3, it has some layout fixes for SMF2.1...

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on May 31, 2019, 07:20:42 AM
Ok, I had a look in the site and managed to fix it.
I also managed to reproduce it in my test site using 2.0.15...

It looks like you stumbled across a bug that was never reported before  O0

Problem: creating a new block with a single article in the frontpanel, some settings are not initialized, causing the articlenot to show in the block.

Workaround: create the block in another panel first, then move it to the front panel...

WE'll log this to be fixed in a next release...

Nice catch.  I have to be honest and say I've not seen this happen before either, but as more and more users use TP in different ways it's bound to turn up a few oddities.  Glad you found a workaround for it too.  ;)

Wichtlmex

Thanks for you taking so much time.... it was funny seeing you working around my page online!

>It looks like you stumbled across a bug that was never reported before<

I am always happy, when the error is not located in front of the screen, but behind ;-)

There are some leftovers I will have to fix, but this is not any problem.

>Workaround: create the block in another panel first, then move it to the front panel...<

Fine.... I will take care of it.

>Checked out some settings on blocks and articles, and to be honest found nothing really wrong. What I did notice was that somehow the article in question did not have an author set (it stated author ID '0') that is something I have not seen before. Did you manually set it to 0?<

I don't remember ever having touched that setting.... I will keep an eye on that.

>I noticed you set your frontpage to show 'Frontpanel only'. Given your other question about showing all articles I changed it to 'Only Articles'<

I saw that, but I was just asking about that.... it is not helping me because it is tricky to sort articles then. Therefor my solution would be using only blocks.

Thanks for the hint to update to 1.6.3 ..... as this is a running system, I was hoping to do a common updare together with SMF 2.1 ;-) but I will follow your recommendation.

Thanks again a lot!

Michael

SMF 2.1 RC1, TP 1.6.3