TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 274
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 281
  • Total: 281

Read More - Gone When Posting Attachment

Started by jernatety, March 07, 2019, 01:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jernatety

Hi,

I spoke with Mick over at SM site. I removed 1.6.0 and installed 1.6.2 as instructed. Problem persists. Hockey registrations are coming up for the 2019 season and clubs are posting their tryout schedules as attachments in their posts. When the post goes to the front page the "Read More" link doesn't show up. On normal posts without attachments "Read More" is there.

"Bristol Blazers New Uniforms" is the post I'm talking about on the front page.

https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php

Thank you for any help everybody!

@rjen

Please check this first: there is a setting on your frontpage settings that reads:

"Number of characters to display per forum-topic:"

What is the value set there?

The 'Read more' link will only show if the topic length EXCEEDS that number. The post you are referring to does not as far as I can tell.

The behavior is not related to having an attachment or not.
Add additional information in the topic so that it exceeds the value set and then check again...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on March 07, 2019, 02:13:30 PM
Please check this first: there is a setting on your frontpage settings that reads:

"Number of characters to display per forum-topic:"

What is the value set there?

The 'Read more' link will only show if the topic length EXCEEDS that number. The post you are referring to does not as far as I can tell.

The behavior is not related to having an attachment or not.
Add additional information in the topic so that it exceeds the value set and then check again...

Hi @rjen. It's set to 300 and I'm well below 300 characters on the post.

jernatety

Quick update. I just made a new post with way more text than the OP I reported. "Read More" shows up fine. There is no attachment on this post.

@rjen

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on March 07, 2019, 03:00:36 PM
So it works as intended, no issue ...

Sorry, "way more text and NO attachment". Meaning the new post has way more characters than the post with the attachment and it shows "Read More". Which proves my point posts with attachments don't show "Read More" on the front page. Please don't take "prove's my point" as being aggressive. I don't know any other way to say it.

Thank you

@rjen

I told you to add text to the topic WITH the attachment. You will see that when you exceed 300 characters the show more link will show up even on topics with attachments.

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on March 07, 2019, 05:11:47 PM
I told you to add text to the topic WITH the attachment. You will see that when you exceed 300 characters the show more link will show up even on topics with attachments.

Ok, understood. I added more text and it did show up. Thanks

lurkalot

Yep as @rjen pointed out, anything under the number set, in this case 300 characters won't show the read more link.

You can however change that setting and adjust the number to suite your needs.

Either way you're sorted now, plus you're running the latest version of TP which is always a good idea hence why I suggested it.

jernatety

Is the latest version just bug fixes or has anything new been added?