TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 87
  • Total: 88
  • illori

Apology to Waulok

Started by antechinus, July 25, 2008, 11:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antechinus

I probably should have included a few smileys in my post as it obviously came across as nastier than it was intended. Sorry for any offense.   

WauloK

Thanks. I appreciate it. I guess I could have worded things nicer.
Do you think it's possible to have somewhere on the front page mention that you need to log in to download? I searched this site for about 10 mins and nearly gave up on finding it. It wasn't until I found another new user asking in the forum where it is. The answer he got was that it is under the Downloads section but you can't even see the word "TinyPortal" there if you aren't logged in.
In fact, it took me about half an hour to realise this site isn't just a Themes only site.

Zetan

Look, despite what you think, the aim of the site isn't to mislead you in any way.

Quote from: WauloKIn fact, it took me about half an hour to realise this site isn't just a Themes only site.

This is a development site for TinyPortal, a package for the forum software SMF. It does mention this on the home page:

Quote from: TinyPortal.netWelcome to tinyportal.co.uk!
This is the development site for the mod TinyPortal, a content managing extension to forum software SMF. You will also find a great number of themes for SMF/TP here, as well as support boards for them.

The main developer, Bloc, who is also a developer for the forum software itself, SMF, also has a passion for graphic design, art and takes pride in sharing that here too by way of his themes.

Now, while I don't wish to speak for Bloc, I'm pretty certain that the only reason that a notice was omitted from the home page, stating that you need to be registered and logged in to download TinyPortal files.. is simply because this is a development site and the home page has changed more times than I care to remember.

I know for a fact that there have been notices stating that you do need to be a registered member to essentially Beta test TinyPortal.. which is what 99% of software development sites require in order to beta test their software. Once software has gone final, public.. then registration is often not required. SMF for example is now public.

If you'd like to suggest adding a small notice to the Home Page and/or Downloads Page, in the feedback board, that would be more helpful than stamping your feet.

Thanks

WauloK

Sure. sounds good. I installed MKPortal in the meantime. I can't uninstall TinyPortal because the uninstall is full of errors. It doesn't work nor show up anyway so I'll just leave it there unless I get motivated to read the source and do it manually.

antechinus

I suspect you have some other problem because usually TP will uninstall cleanly as long as nothing else is messing it up. I've done it several times, usually on test sites. Did you install any other mods before TP, because that can often cause problems?

WauloK

I only have :
View and Remove Installed Packages
Mod Name   Version   
1.   SMF 1.0.11 / 1.1.3 Update   1.1   [ Uninstall ]
2.   SMF 1.0.12 / 1.1.4 / 2.0 b1.1 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
3.   SMF 1.0.13 / 1.1.5 / 2.0 b3.1 Update   1.0   [ Uninstall ]
4.   TinyPortal   1.052   [ Uninstall ]

Zetan

Quote from: WauloK on July 26, 2008, 11:25:07 AM
Sure. sounds good. I installed MKPortal in the meantime.

We love members like yourself.

Remind us to include "All" in the "please everyone".