TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 122
  • Total: 122

Site Improvement

Started by Skb, December 10, 2017, 07:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Mick, my original thought were to use CSS but then thought what I posted may be a better way to start off then go from there. But your way is much better! And that's what I need to learn to play with myself. Thanks for posting that.

skb, looking good so far. But like I said, create a new theme based on Curves. Then you can easily change all of the block on the right to match the frontpage and even the catbg's for the forum theme itself.

I always tell people to create a test forum that is an exact duplicate of your live forum to play with. Once you get it right then add your changes to your live forum. This way if you make mistakes and delete something important or even bring the site down in some way it is only the test forum and will not inconvenience your users.

lurkalot

Steve, I haven't a clue which way is best tbh, I just thought I'd add another option into the mix, and had a bit of fun experimenting at the same time. lol..  I'm not exactly sure how skb implemented those changes either so this might not be a usable option. 

Got a few days off work now, so might well try and play with some of these ideas myself.  8) 

Skb

Mick,

I tried the rounded title bars, bur gave up because it didn't go well with the main text boxes below.
There is an image of a Pub that I've inserted which is giving me problems with responsiveness. I might need to edit it into something with lesser width or do away with it completely.

Skhilled, Developing a Curve variant will require a lot of time which I won't be able to devote as of now.
Besides, you've been at our forum and know the mindset of the people there. I have to keep all changes minimal.
I'll do it in a gradual manner. The idea was to push the Home page in somehow which I've done.
The rest, in good time.

ETA: I've taken your cue and used colors from Curve theme, to merge well with the rest of the page.

SMF 2.1 RC4 (default theme) / TP 2.1.0

lurkalot

skb, Just out of interest, where, how, and how did you edit the files to change those headers?  I'd like to experiment with this idea on my test site. 

Skb

I used a free color-picker tool to choose the colors from the Curve theme, and I created this <div>

<div style="background-color: #3B6181; padding-top:3px; padding-bottom: 3px; "><strong>
<p style="color: #fff; text-align: center;">About Us</p></strong>
</div>

Choose Do not use title/frame styles in settings

Skb

lurkalot

Quote from: Skb on December 27, 2017, 02:19:41 AM
This may be quite helpful in developing Curve variants;

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=349582.0

Thanks, I agree.  Shame the images are missing though. 

Actually It's the same tutorial that was added to the wiki https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_create_a_smf_theme