TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 147
  • Total: 148
  • tino

Examples / tips for improvement of articles + icons layout

Started by @rjen, September 06, 2020, 07:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@rjen

I created the commits for the changes, but they are now part of the PR that is awaiting review from tino.

As soon as that is done I will merge them in (I hope)
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

tino

I put a couple of comments on the pr yesterday. I think what you've done is the best way. I would prefer the get attachment to be it's own function as we can call it elsewhere from other functions, but I can change that later.

@rjen

Where did you put those comments? I am not seeing them in github. But if it is ok with you I'll merge the PR.

Need to do more changes on the layouts : articles and avatars seems funny too...

@rjen

As for the article icons.

1. I noticed that the upload limit is hard-coded to 180Kb (even though the text says it is 500Kb).
2. When uploading an image it creates a thumbnail of 128 x 128 (a value we are not using anywhere)
3. The original image is stored in the folder too, but not used anywhere

I am thinking to
1. add a setting to the article settings to allow the admin to set it's own file size
2. add a setting for the icon thumbnail
3. See if we can delete the original images since all they do is take up space...

jernatety

Quote from: @rjen on September 06, 2020, 07:49:06 PM
For now I have settled for the attached... hopefully some more suggestions come along

I like that you're reconciling the formatting. I always thought the icon was a little weird where it's placement is plus having the avatar. I made a slight modification to rjens 1st layout by rearranging the info, removing the avatar and moving the print page down.

@rjen

Yeah, I also find that showing both the image AND icon is a bit too much for the Articles + Icons layout. I think I will remove the avatar completely there.

The Print page function seems a bit out of place on the category page and frontpage. I think I will only show that on the single article pages...

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on September 11, 2020, 09:29:09 PM
Yeah, I also find that showing both the image AND icon is a bit too much for the Articles + Icons layout. I think I will remove the avatar completely there.

You can just turn them off in front page settings. "Show avatars in forum-topics"

@rjen

I know, but I think many admins may not remember that and may complain about it. So  I am considering to remove the from the articles + icons layouts only.

Or maybe we can put the author  and avatar in a more suitable place in those 2 layouts?

@rjen

Quote from: jernatety on September 11, 2020, 08:07:57 PM

I like that you're reconciling the formatting. I always thought the icon was a little weird where it's placement is plus having the avatar. I made a slight modification to rjens 1st layout by rearranging the info, removing the avatar and moving the print page down.

Having problems putting the article info on separate lines: the code is setup in such a way that it affects all layouts. Need to think about that...

Just throwing some ideas in the mix...

What about something like this?