TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:50:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 192
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110

Status of TP?

Started by m771401, November 22, 2010, 01:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m771401

I don't come around much. Don't have much trouble with my site.
I just got a question or two.

What's the status of TP and it's planned future? I noticed that Bloc is no longer listed as the creator for the mod over at SMF.

With the drama that ensued awhile back with SMF and now these recent changes regarding TP I'm starting to feel a bit of uncertainty with SMF and TP. The climate seems unstable.

I'm not interested anyone's lives or any drama. I'm just concerned about the future of these products.

Lesmond

We are good for the time being, ichbin has decided to take over the project, and we intend to keep this site going for the foreseeable future. 

WillyP

IchBin is a top notch coder and a good leader and I think we are all have a great deal of confidence in him, and the continued development of Tiny Portal.

agridoc

m771401 there are many like you.

SMF seems to clear things.

In TP, Bloc has retired, IchBin, after being with TP since the beginning, is taking the lead.

TP has a good state of maturity, and lots of features added. Some bugs have to be fixed, as it was rewritten from 1.05 on to be compatible with both versions.

SMF started in 2003, TP in 2005. I would say that, after years, it's not unusual to have quite some changes in people involved, even for a commercial software.

The power of SMF+TP is people like you, they are lots around. It's a tremendous energy that gives power and will bring new talents in the projects.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF

IchBin

m771401,  although the recent things that have changed for SMF are related to "drama" as you call it, I believe that SMF has taken a giant leap in the right direction. It may take a long time for them to get where they want to, and where they need to. But I believe they have the right people working on this.

As far as TP's future is concerned, there is no drama involved. Bloc has simply been burned out, and needs to move on to other things. Not to mention his his real life has taken some turns which have taken his available time to be able to commit here. While I may not be as good as Bloc, I'll give it my best to help TP continue to update and reach a final stable version. From there, we will see what lies ahead for future features. :)

william777

IchBin, I have absolute confidence in you.

WillyP

The 'drama', as some would put it, is because of a difference of opinion between people who care enough about SMF to get upset about what they perceive as important issues.  This is really a good thing,  if nobody cared enough to push their opinions the project really would be doomed.  In a commercial project there is a clear hierarchy of power you don't see this sort of thing displayed publicly because if you did heads would roll.

SN

Quote from: IchBin on November 22, 2010, 05:21:40 PM
m771401,  although the recent things that have changed for SMF are related to "drama" as you call it, I believe that SMF has taken a giant leap in the right direction. It may take a long time for them to get where they want to, and where they need to. But I believe they have the right people working on this.

As far as TP's future is concerned, there is no drama involved. Bloc has simply been burned out, and needs to move on to other things. Not to mention his his real life has taken some turns which have taken his available time to be able to commit here. While I may not be as good as Bloc, I'll give it my best to help TP continue to update and reach a final stable version. From there, we will see what lies ahead for future features. :)

IchBin, just want to say Thanks for putting in the effort and taking the lead of TP  O0

I have no doubt you will do a brilliant job

Crip

Quote from: SN on November 23, 2010, 10:56:37 AM
IchBin, just want to say Thanks for putting in the effort and taking the lead of TP  O0

I have no doubt you will do a brilliant job

My sentiments exactly!  ;) :P
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

m771401

Thanks for the info.
I guess the only other thing I would like to say is that I could not find any formal/official statement regarding the changes.

Did I miss something or would it be wise to make some kind of official statement for folks like me that only come around for updates and support info when needed?

I've been using SMF and TP since late 2005/6ish and have been reasonably happy.
Though in the last year I've been entertaining thoughts about moving to something else which is/was seeded by what SMF was doing.