TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 112
  • Total: 112

A few pointers for a Tiny Portal newb.

Started by Jonny Rojo, May 21, 2008, 10:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Rojo

Hi,

I've had a good read and searched through all the forums and faq's and still need a little helping hand before I take the plunge and attempt to install Tiny Portal.

I'm running a forum using the Goldnight theme

http://www.lovelockandload.net/forum/index.php

I'd like to add TP and have found a modified version of my theme by Crip at the link below

http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=16898.0

What I need to know is how do I go about installing TP on my forum? Do I uninstall my current Goldnight theme and replace it with Crips version and then install TP?

Or do I need to still manually modify my themes templates? I'm sorry if I missed anything on the faqs but I'm not used to all this technical stuff! Any help or pointers would really be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jonny

Dragooon

Hm What version of TP are you willing to install?

Jonny Rojo

I'm cool with whichever is the best version to date.

Dragooon

OK There are 2 TP versions(1 is stable, other is unstable), I'll tell you about both the versions.

TP 0.9.8 - Latest stable release, got less features then TP 1.0.5 but got very very few bugs
This TP requires many theme modifications, if you choose this, You would first be needing to remove your theme, switch to core theme and then install TP, then install the Crip's converted Theme.

TP 1.0.5 - Latest unstable(beta) release, got more features than TP 0.9.8 but also got bugs.
This TP requires only the forum button to be added to the theme, if you want this, you can switch to core theme(No need to uninstall the theme), then install TP 1.0.5 and add a forum button to your Goldnight theme and switch back to the theme.

But make sure before you do anything you do 3 things
Backup
Backup
Backup

Jonny Rojo

You're a good 'un Dragoon! That's exactly the advice I needed. I'm leaning towards the beta version, or maybe holding out until the final stable version is released? How log has the beta version been in testing?

Needless to say though with the info you've just given me I can now carry on reading all the faqs and when I'm ready to make the installation I'll have all the necessry info.

Cheers amigo!

Dragooon

Well the beta has been getting tested privately from a long time, but as things goes, old bugs gets ironed out, new bugs pop up as new features are added(Currently its in beta 1, the first beta, so it is pretty unstable ATM). But nothing till now has been discovered that will totally stop your site from functioning.

And no time frames are given out :).

Jonny Rojo

OK, cool. I'll go ahead and get started on installing TP 0.9.8, get used to how TP works and get a feel for it and then later down the road give the new version a try.

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

G6Cad

QuoteOK There are 2 TP versions(1 is stable, other is unstable), I'll tell you about both the versions.

Dragooon, second time now, Non of the TP versions is marked as stable, we havent said it's stable and until we do announce TP as stable,please dont call it stable.

TP is Beta, and betas are never stated as stable releases, both versions have issues here and there, the new TP has a lot as it's allmost Alpha even, but TP V098 is the closest to a steady version.

Both versions work, 1.0.5 has errors filling the logs here and there, but will not kill your forum.

Sp Dragooon, dont call any of your releases stable, cause non of them are announced as stable at any time.

Jakki

Quote from: Jonny Rojo on May 21, 2008, 10:37:26 AM
OK, cool. I'll go ahead and get started on installing TP 0.9.8, get used to how TP works and get a feel for it and then later down the road give the new version a try.

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

TP  0.9.8 is the way to go IMO

Jonny Rojo

I've about a dozen modifications on my forum and I'm thinking the easiest install would be the beta 1.0.5 version.

I'm not to hot at modifying my templates so the easier the install the better for me.

Thanks for added information G6 and Jakki :)