TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,165
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 117
  • Total: 117

2 forums 1 database

Started by Smoky, February 13, 2008, 05:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoky

I want to know facts here..

having one forum at 1.1.4, (with tp) upgrading it to beta2, placing it in read only.. and "archiving" it, and then installing a new forum using same db, so members wont have to join 2 forums, but not installing tp on the last.. possible??

and i know what has been said.. that tp0.9.8 wont go with the smf 2.. so please dont flame. I want to know if anyone has thought or done this yet, and "if" so, what happened.  :coolsmiley:

G6Cad

Not really a Tp question
Remember that SMF is the engine that you run the MOD TP to ;)

www.simplemachines.org will surley have the answers to these questions.  :)

Smoky

talking this over with BigGuy now "here" and was wanting to know if anyone has done this (since the mod tp is here, and this is what i am wanting answered "having one forum at 1.1.4, (with tp)" as I am wanting responses from tp users) and if so how will/would/did it work out.

i think it is a tp question, as im wanting to know, will the tp "show up" on the other install, by chance, as that isnt what I want to show, due to i have heard if you are merging (or using one db) it might show on both boards, unless by naming the new install (as you are not to name it the other db name) the new name and it wont "bleed over" by doing that.

stormlrd

LMAO youve even confused me dear hehe

Smoky

ok will try this local if it works out will be redoing my site.. sorry for the confusion.. just looking at new ways to expand my site..

what im talking about is this:

one install of smf 1.1.4

one adding of the tp mod

then upgrading the 1.1.4 to the beta 2

then installing a second forum smf beta 2 into the db

thus giving me 2 forums, one db, and 1 tp one only one forum.. will post my results one way or the other, if i can get it to go or not..

lol your funny Storm, i figured you would understand what im talking bout  :2funny:

IchBin

You are only sharing the database. Each forum will have to have TP installed. If you want to share TP's tables, that will be a whole different ball game which we will not be covering in this weeks TP lecture. :)

Maybe I don't get it either though. :D

stormlrd

I think i do now, she wants to basically have a 1.1.4/TP9.83 site and a separate smf 2.0 beta site but both sharing the same db tables.

If thats the case ma'am when you run the upgrade on the 1.1.4 db your gonna be upgrading the db to the needed 2.0 structure, which will change the 1.1.4 structure so that it will no longer work properly, nothing will happen the the tp tables as they arent part of the beta upgrade but they wont carry over the the 2.0 because we have worked out the update so that you can use tp on the 2.0, the tp would still be functional on the 1.1.4 but most likely would crash too as would the 1.1.4 forum.

Smoky

after i finish up the 2 themes i am currently working on and another one behind it, as a personal request, will test this out, and if no one has done it, and weather it works or not, will post it up here..

(no ich :P just my one tp.. no sharing!! lol)

i am just wanting to learn more, and to know what both my site and me are capable of.. I know better than to try on a live site first, as i dont want to screw things up.. but anyways, thanks Storm, you have the basic idea kinda right..

the 1.1.4 upgraded, and the 2nd, without tp.. trial and error, eh??  :D who knows, if it does go, i have 2 weeks left on my twistedsketch site.. i might put it there for anyone that wants to play with the thing..

btw.. if anyone wants twistedsketch, its up for renewal on april 1st, thru godaddy.. i dont need it, as i have picked up 2 more sites.. let me know via pm.. thanks..  ;) (free to good home)

also, i know now how to do xoops, opencms, dolphin, e107, phpnuke, bitweaver, and a new one called datalife..  ;) )