TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:57:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 174
  • Total: 174

OK, now what?

Started by wakewatcher, August 20, 2021, 10:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Yep, just seems like th front panel blocks don't work wih this set. Pretty sure we tested this at the time. 

I think best way for this particular case is to "Allow guests to browse the forum" and then hide the individual boards that wakewatcher need to hide.  Then apply the blocks as necessary..

wakewatcher

Quote from: lurkalot on August 21, 2021, 07:00:15 PM
Reading back from those discussions I'm under the impression soothing has got broken somewhere for the front panel blocks, and the front page blocks should show as long as there's no forum content on there.

I'm not sure I'm following. Did I do something wrong with my SMF setup or did I do something wrong with my TP setup?
What is confusing to me, among other things, is the front page blocs show up in "front panel blocks" but show up in the upper panel in the permissions section.

lurkalot

Sorry, no I hink we've hit a bug somewhere in the portal itself.  I did notice the front blocks are not showing in the block access page too.  Very strange.

Not many people gide the whole forum from guests tbh, they usually have one or more boards open to guests, and others they need to be logged in to view them.

@rjen

The block access page is indeed showing the wrong panel names: we will look into that.

And I can confirm that when the guest access is switched off in SMF, the frontpanel is not showing...

See attachments on my test forum:
1. with guest access
2. without guest access...

We need to look into this, but it will not be fixed very soon.

So the proposal would be to allow guest acess to your forum, and the go into the boards (Modify boards) and disallow the guests there...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

wakewatcher

Quote from: @rjen on August 21, 2021, 09:34:45 PM
The block access page is indeed showing the wrong panel names: we will look into that.

And I can confirm that when the guest access is switched off in SMF, the frontpanel is not showing...

See attachments on my test forum:
1. with guest access
2. without guest access...

We need to look into this, but it will not be fixed very soon.

So the proposal would be to allow guest access to your forum, and the go into the boards (Modify boards) and disallow the guests there...

Hey thanks for this and thanks for your patience. I still must be missing something as pre-login the panels are not there. This is what I've done.  Allowed Guest per:

And denied guest permissions per:

But still only after they login does the frontpage show up. I'm likely misunderstanding something.

lurkalot

I've just turned on guest access for you, so you should see your front page as guest now.

You just need to decide what blocks you need and where they should show.

wakewatcher

Quote from: lurkalot on August 22, 2021, 12:34:05 AM
I've just turned on guest access for you, so you should see your front page as guest now.

You just need to decide what blocks you need and where they should show.

I was making changes just now too so maybe we walked over each other because now prior to login you can see the forums if you click the forum button.  Could you go in and disable that?  The forums should only be visible to those that have successfully logged in.
Thanks.

lurkalot

Done. Sorry.  ;)

Info center might still be an issue but the boards are all hidden.

wakewatcher

Quote from: lurkalot on August 22, 2021, 12:52:34 AM
Done. Sorry.  ;)

I don't want to be greedy. I can live with the info center if needs be.  But confused. It appears that you undid the changes I made per @rjen where it is shown that guests need to allowed. So you changed that back and therefore there must be some other setting you tickled. I dug around and didn't find it. If its easy for you to tell me what you did that would be great. (Under the guise of teaching a man to fish rather than giving a man a fish. But thanks for the fish just the same!)

lurkalot

Quote from: wakewatcher on August 22, 2021, 01:25:38 AM
Quote from: lurkalot on August 22, 2021, 12:52:34 AM
Done. Sorry.  ;)

I don't want to be greedy. I can live with the info center if needs be.  But confused. It appears that you undid the changes I made per @rjen where it is shown that guests need to allowed. So you changed that back and therefore there must be some other setting you tickled. I dug around and didn't find it. If its easy for you to tell me what you did that would be great. (Under the guise of teaching a man to fish rather than giving a man a fish. But thanks for the fish just the same!)

Think I only changed the setting in SMF Admin > Features and Options > General,

Allow guests to browse the forum

While testing I did add a little message on the forum page which is only viewable to guests. You can simply turn it off if not needed, but it might be handy as it tells guest they must be signed in to view the forums.