TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 324
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 328
  • Total: 328

[Discussion] Find In Page Search Highlighter Script

Started by jernatety, May 23, 2018, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jernatety

Any recommendations for a very simple search box script to put at the top of my HTML article? I have a huge article which I'd like visitors to be able to search for key words in just that article.

With that being said, I'm curious, is there a character limit for articles? HOPE NOT!

tino

Character limit is limited to the database limit. You can increase that to a larger size if required. I think it's 65555 characters currently.

jernatety

Quote from: tino on May 23, 2018, 04:33:58 PM
Character limit is limited to the database limit. You can increase that to a larger size if required. I think it's 65555 characters currently.

Is that character limit based on html and do spaces count as well?

tino

Sorry it was actually 4,294,967,295 characters.

That's spaces etc.

I don't think you will be using that many characters..

jernatety

Quote from: tino on May 23, 2018, 06:58:45 PM
Sorry it was actually 4,294,967,295 characters.

That's spaces etc.

I don't think you will be using that many characters..

WOW! LOL, nope I don't think I'll ever get remotely close to that, ha ha.

Any good recommendations on a free java script for in page search like Cntrl+F in browsers?

lurkalot

longtext?

I was just taking a peek at your site, looks like it's coming along nicely.  8)

One thing, I'm guessing you're still working out the content for the blocks, but if you have them roughly as you'd like them I'd be inclined to turn off the block headers where you have no titles in them, it will look much nicer imo..

Set each block to

"Use frame style, but not title style"

And

"Do not allow block to collapse"

And they will disappear.

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on May 23, 2018, 08:44:43 PM
longtext?

One thing, I'm guessing you're still working out the content for the blocks, but if you have them roughly as you'd like them I'd be inclined to turn off the block headers where you have no titles in them, it will look much nicer imo..

Set each block to

And

And they will disappear.

Thank you for the advice that does look a lot better. One question. What's below the two middle blocks? It's a news story but I have no idea how to edit the styling on that, it doesn't show in the blocks.

lurkalot

Quote from: jernatety on May 23, 2018, 08:54:12 PM
longtext?

Set each block to

And

And they will disappear.

Thank you for the advice that does look a lot better. One question. What's below the two middle blocks? It's a news story but I have no idea how to edit the styling on that, it doesn't show in the blocks.

Does look better.  ;)

"news story"  That's what's commonly known as a Promoted post. There isn't really any style setting for those.  The header has relevant info pertaining to the topic being promoted.

jernatety

Quote from: lurkalot on May 23, 2018, 09:13:19 PM
longtext?

Set each block to

And

And they will disappear.

Does look better.  ;)

"news story"  That's what's commonly known as a Promoted post. There isn't really any style setting for those.  The header has relevant info pertaining to the topic being promoted.

Any suggestions, modules to use etc that could make it better?

lurkalot

Quote from: jernatety on May 26, 2018, 08:31:03 PM
Quote from: lurkalot on May 23, 2018, 09:13:19 PM
longtext?

Set each block to

And

And they will disappear.

Does look better.  ;)

Any suggestions, modules to use etc that could make it better?

You mean specifically the promoted posts (or front page posts) ?  Or page in general?

Promoted posts:  No nothing that I know of, other than add some styling yourself via CSS, not sure how difficult that is.  Perhaps someone here has done this and could share some tips.

Page in general:  I think it looks great as is.  If I had any slight niggles it would be the use of both panels in the forum index and viewing posts etc, forum just looks a bit squeezed between the panels.

To combat this I tend to make the theme as wide as I dare, normally a percentage than a fixed width.  Can also be helped by using only one panel in the forum, but I realise there's only so much you can view without scrolling, so the important stuff needs to go at the top.

The nice thing about blocks and panels is, you can duplicate blocks and have them in both panels, you can then tell that block (for example) Nav block to show in the left panel on the front page, and set your duplicate nav block to show in the right panel in the forum.  Not consistent for a nav menu I know, but that was just an example.

At the end of the day everyone has their own take on what looks good tbh.  It really comes down to a bit of experimenting and trial and error. ;)

Two more picky things I've noticed.

Your Rink Directory page. I would give this a query title, and change the link ink your nav block from,

http://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?page=2
To
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?page=Rink-Directory

Same for your Contact page, a query title, Contact-Us and change the link in the nav block.

From
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?page=4
To
https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?page=Contact-Us